21 replies to this topic

#16 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

There have been a few other proposals for that area as well.

#17 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Just a couple of random thoughts on this topic, that can add to the discussion.

1. I remember a couple of years back when Six Flags raised their parking prices considerably, and someone attempted to blame Jackson Township for this. What followed was LOTS of people believing and blaming Jackson Township until I set them straight. Jackson can't tax parking, or Six Flags directly. In fact, aside from the basic property tax, Jackson don't really benefit one bit from Great Adventure being located in their town. Sales Tax, and everything else goes to the state. Which is really the entire point of this venture. If they can build retail establishments around an guarenteed draw such as Six Flags, they can gain more property tax from the new stores. More so, if there is any parking on municipal owned land, they can charge for that as well. This venture is little more then Jackson attempting to carve themselves out a piece of the current economic pie so to speak. Pay 10$ and park in a Jackson Owned establishment or lot, and that's 10$ that goes to Jackson. Hotels also fall under a slightly different tax code, and municipalities can actually add taxes onto that, one of the VERY VERY few businesses they can tax directly. Next time you go on vacation, look at your hotel bill, and you will often see 3-4 seperate taxes on there. One of them is often a local tax for the municipality.

2. I don't wanna say that Six Flags owning part of the land is irrelevant, because as a Libertarian, to me it's VERY relavant. However, when Long Branch wanted to build Pier Village, then used Eminent Domain and literally took lots of peoples property from them. Some of this is still in court, but many lost, most took the buy out, and Pier Village exists. I'm not saying Jackson is definately going to do this, or even has the council votes for it. However, it is something to keep in the back of your head when you mention that "Six Flags owns the land they intend to use for their plan." - I'd even argue that Six Flags would sell it to them on the cheap, just to maintain good relations. Either way, it's worth remembering. There are also dozens of examples I can use of this happening, I mention Pier Village because it's in the same state and roughly 30 minutes away.

3. Multiple Jackson city council meetings have lamented the services that "Great Adventure" requires in terms of police, fire, and of course the increased traffic and pollution, and how little the Township gets back. Now one can argue that this is bullsh*t, and I'm actually right there with you. I disagree completely. However, that don't change the reality that meetings of this nature have taken place, have been reported in the newspaper, and there are lots of people that hold this opinion. They want a piece of the pie. However, they are limited in how they can legally go about getting it. Hence, this project...

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on this. I wouldn't particularly bet on it happening, but I felt I should share some of the mindset on why it was proposed.

Mangar
Lucid Vision

#18 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

How many other large rateables are in Jackson? The park puts the township on the map, ESPECIALLY with the world's tallest roller coaster. Not to mention that under TW the premium outlets added another boost to the town. They should be grateful for the tourism regardless of the services required by the park.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#19 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

I saw that Harry from Great Adventure History posted this article from the Asbury Park Press with an update on the hotel development:

Jackson officials' plan for hotel near Six Flags moves forward

Aug. 20, 2013 

JACKSON — In a series of hotel concepts with shopping space and nightclubs, state and local leaders have laid out their visions for developing a rural area of Jackson near Six Flags Great Adventure.

In a 61-page plan released recently, the state Division of Community Affairs’ Local Planning Services and a team of students from the New Jersey Institute of Technology’s College of Architecture & Design illustrated their ideas for bringing a 600-room hotel and adjacent attractions to the township.

“This is something that we were trying to do for many years,” Councilman Kenneth Bressi said.

Three years, in fact. Mayor Michael Reina proposed the plan for a hotel in the area around Six Flags Great Adventure in 2011 at a gathering of state officials and potential investors at the theme park.

With about 3 million people visiting Six Flags’ theme park and adjacent water park every year, and no hotel within nine miles, Jackson officials hope such a structure will keep visitors longer and entice them to spend more money at surrounding businesses.

“It’s a subject whose time has come,” said township Councilman Robert Nixon, who chairs the township’s Economic Development Committee. “The possibility’s there, and we should go out and grab it.”

The DCA and NJIT concept examines four sites adjacent to or near Six Flags’ parks, proposes monorails or high-wire gondola transportation systems, and layouts plans for nightclubs, shopping centers and spas surrounding an array of hotel designs.

“Without a doubt I’d love to see a project of this magnitude up in Jackson,” said Joe Fiero, a member of the township’s Economic Development Committee. “It’s way past time.”

“In the past, the landowners and the interested parties just have not been able to come together,” he added. “We’re hoping that at this point in time, the scope of the project (and) the economy will make some real excitement… and maybe we’ll get a shovel in the ground.”

The motivation for Jackson’s elected officials is clear.

“The main purpose of every economic plan is to reduce the burden of taxes on the residents, the municipal portion of it (the tax bill),” Reina said.

The township's residential tax base is worth about $5.8 billion, while its commercial area is assessed at $607 million. Jackson's residential-to-commercial ratio for tax collection is about 87 percent to 9 percent.

Reina and Bressi said the new hotel concept, which was funded by the DCA, coincides with a television segment set to air on the “Today in America” show, which broadcasts on FOX Business Network and CNN Headline News. The segment will promote Jackson as one of the best places in the country to live, play and work, Reina said.

With the completion of the “Today in America” filming, “we have a complete package to show people,” Bressi said.

In the next step toward realizing their goal, Jackson officials will send the DCA-NJIT concept and “Today in America” segment to hotel chains, hoping to attract a developer.

Nixon said Jackson residents will have a venue to host weddings, proms and large parties, or have a place where community organizations can meet.

Honestly, I think the idea excellent. The park may already have long lines, but this will be a cash cow for the park in the long run. To have an outside developer pay for + run a hotel and have all of their guests come to Great Adventure is basically giving the park money. Also, one of Great Adventure's original gaps disappears, which is not having a hotel nearby where people can stay and come to Great Adventure for multiple days. Knocks out a few birds with one stone! (Now all they need to do is attract a developer ... )

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#20 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

How many other large rateables are in Jackson? The park puts the township on the map, ESPECIALLY with the world's tallest roller coaster. Not to mention that under TW the premium outlets added another boost to the town. They should be grateful for the tourism regardless of the services required by the park.

Why should a town be "grateful" for the tourism? The average resident don't benefit from it, and most would rather not be ON the map at all. Much less so because of an amusement park. The people that come to Great Adventure from afar, don't really spend much money at other Jackson businesse's. Unless you count buying some fast food or gasoline right outside the park. Aside from that, Six Flags has no positive impact whatsoever on Jackson Township - Aside from a large property tax ratable. On a side note: I live in Bradley Beach, and we have a rather nice boardwalk. It has pretty much NOTHING on it, aside from a Bocce Court and a Miniature Golf Course, and we are quite happy about it. We don't want rides, games, or excess tourism. All plans to add these things have been shot down immediately. This includes clubs and bars. That's what Belmar and Asbury Park are for. Just to give you an idea of how many residents view such things....

The point I'm making is that Jackson as a whole really don't benefit from Great Adventure too much. I realize people think they do, but those people are wrong. The reason why Jackson is OK with Six Flags there, is because it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and thus impacts the town little, while paying a very large property tax. Jackson is a BIG town. The outlets helped bring people to that part during the offseason, but the recent opening of the Jersey Shore outlets (Neptune/Tinton Falls) which are accesible and visible right from the Parkway, took away TONS of business. This current plan, which I really don't see happening - Is Jacksons way ot getting a piece of the pie. Hotels? That's taxes. A monorail or ANY form of transport to the park entrance? Well that parking fee goes to Jackson and not Six Flags. This plan is nothing more then an abitious venture of a businessman/mayor who thinks he can carve the township a slice of the pie. Look no further then Pier Village in Long Branch, NJ - And that's pretty much the template for this. On a side note: Pier Village worked wonderfully, but thats because it has a beach, targeted upscale/yuppie patrons who had no real "place" at the shore, and location. The question going into this venture: Is there a single thing planned or listed that would make you go there when Six Flags isn't currently open? Nightclubs and bars are great, but the Shore is 10 minutes away has them in ABUNDANCE..

The Hotel has promise, and one smart thing is that they realize that in order to have a Hotel, you need to have things to do NEAR the hotel during the offseason. However, again - Do you or anyone else see a reason to visit that area during the offseason with the current planned ideas?

Mangar
Lucid Vision

#21 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

The reason why Jackson is OK with Six Flags there, is because it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and thus impacts the town little, while paying a very large property tax.

It can be a snowball effect from the huge property tax and the park being there. Let's pretend the park was never built in Jackson. Would many of the fast food restaurants be there, each of which giving their share in taxes? Probably not. Who knows, without Gadv's water pipeline, the outlets might have been doomed as well(Pure speculation, but definitely plausable). With none of these businesses in Jackson, would they even be forging ahead with these hotel plans that will be bringing them tons of money? No way, and Jackson would lose out on their slice of the pie. The fact is that with the taxes and revenue from the hotel and the tax ratables from Gadv and the outlets more than cover the expenses Jackson Township pours into the park, AND with this hotel, they give back to the community with a new community center. Do I understand that the park may cause problems with locals about traffic and such? Yes, but the money gained can be poured into fixing such problems. Everybody wins with the park in Jackson.

DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#22 Nitroisawesome

Nitroisawesome

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

i wouldnt be suprised if they made a hotel complex. I live in nj and there are like 5 hotels in the whole state

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users