#1 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces World Record-Breaking Ride for 2014
World’s Largest Theme Park to Debut World’s Tallest Drop Ride and Bids Farewell to a Classic Coaster August 29, 2013

New Jersey’s Six Flags Great Adventure will shatter the world record for tallest drop ride with the addition of the 41-story Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom in 2014.

Connected to the iconic Kingda Ka roller coaster—the 456-foot monster that ranks as the world’s tallest coaster and fastest in North America—Zumanjaro will hoist riders 415 feet into the sky and rocket them back to Earth at 90 miles per hour while Kingda Ka trains launch right toward them at speeds of up to 128 miles per hour.

"Zumanjaro solidifies Six Flags Great Adventure’s dominance as the Northeast’s thrill capital,” said John Fitzgerald, park president. “This is precisely the world-class, record-breaking attraction our guests have come to expect from Great Adventure. Zumanjaro is destined to top many ‘must ride’ lists in 2014."

Three soaring Zumanjaro towers will be built on the face of the massive Kingda Ka coaster debuting during the park’s 41st season. Each drop tower will feature a gondola with eight riders.

The gondolas will rise to the top of the tower in approximately 30 seconds. Riders will pause for a few terrifying moments, 41 stories in the air—even higher than London’s Big Ben and twice as high as the Statue of Liberty—allowing them to catch a glimpse of the skyscrapers in Philadelphia 52 miles to the south before gravity plunges them back to ground level in less than 10 seconds.

"Zumanjaro pushes thrills to heights never imagined when Great Adventure first opened in 1974,” said park historian and author Harry Applegate. “You could stack the tallest major attractions from Great Adventure's opening season on top of one another, including the Big Wheel, Log Flume, Runaway Train and Skyride, and you would still be more than 50 feet shy of Zumanjaro."

The name “Zumanjaro” was inspired by the African influences of Safari Off Road Adventure, the attraction that combined Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari into the world’s largest theme park. A newly-themed animal section adjacent to Zumanjaro will feature mischievous and playful Anubis baboons native to Africa. For nearly 40 years, these baboons were a favorite of Safari visitors, but not included in the new Safari Off Road Adventure.

“Throughout this season, guests have inquired about the baboons. We can finally announce that they will be the stars of this newly-themed area,” Fitzgerald said. Guests will be able to see the lively primates, also known as olive baboons, up close in their new habitat formerly known as Safari Discoveries. These members of the Old World Monkey family “have a highly organized social structure and their interactions are fascinating to watch,” he added.

Zumanjaro and the new baboon exhibit are slated for a spring debut in 2014.

The End of an Era: Rolling Thunder
The introduction of Zumanjaro spells the end of an era for one of the park’s classic roller coasters, Rolling Thunder. The coaster, which opened in 1979, has delivered more than 42 million rides in its nearly 35-year history. Although the classic, dual track “woodie” remained a staple at the park, its popularity waned over the years.

“Advances in technology have led to a new generation of rides with the sleek intensity of El Toro, the world’s No. 1 wooden coaster,” Fitzgerald said. Guests will be able to enjoy Rolling Thunder until it closes to the public September 8, 2013 to make way for construction.

Hurricane Harbor to Expand Cabana Service with New Tiki Bar
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor will expand its first-class cabana rental service with the introduction of Cabana Cove. Cabanas offer a private escape for water park-goers, and a new tiki bar will deliver beverage service directly to the cabanas to enhance the relaxing, island-style experience.

2014 Season Passes at Lowest Price of the Year
Six Flags Great Adventure announced today that 2014 season passes are now on sale at the lowest prices of the year and provide unlimited visits for the rest of the 2013 season (including Fright Fest) and all of the 2014 season. For a limited time, with the purchase of a season pass four-pack, guests will receive a free upgrade to gold status which includes free admission to the theme park and Hurricane Harbor, plus admission to all Six Flags Theme Parks and free parking at all parks for every pass holder. Memberships Passes, which include all of the great benefits of a season pass, are also available at an affordable monthly price. Offer expires October 27, 2013.

This fall, Six Flags Great Adventure’s annual Fright Fest celebration will undergo one of the largest expansions in the park’s history with new mazes and more scare zones, as well as added days and extended hours beginning September 13, 2013. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/greatadventure.  

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company with $1.1 billion in revenue and 18 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For more than 50 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks and unique attractions, including up-close animal encounters, Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park.  For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/2014news.

From Six Flags' website

EDIT: Six Flags' website lists HH getting Bonzai Pipeline, but that was not announced and if you go to it's page on the website, nothing comes up. So we'll have to wait and see.

DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#2 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Wonder if they'll use any of Ka's old queue.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#3 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Looks awesome. 100 ft drop towers still give me the butterflies.. I can't imagine what this will be like. I'm interested to see what they'll do with the area around the baboon exhibit. I'm really hoping they'll reopen that pathway because having to walk through the Boardwalk to get from Ka to Toro is getting really annoying.

Posted Image

#4 Kingda R

Kingda R

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Rolling Thunder's removal also means they owe us a roller coaster, it's weird how all of a sudden they are becoming scarce at the park. Yes I know we traded GASM for GL but it's still another ocaster we could have had...I don't care about the amount of riders, that's not the point.  It's just the fact that there will now be one less roller coaster to ride.  2015 had better be something awesome from the roller coaster aspect of things.  I am very excited about the drop tower as I have stated in the speculation post that I have ridden Lex Luthor Drop Of Doom in SFMM.  I guess the Drop Of Doom title will become the new Batman?  Soon everyone will have one!  lol 

*With El Toro being down, Fright Fest is going to suck as far as lines go unless they get it going again.

#5 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

The tower actually doesn't look all that ugly.  I was fearing that slapping a drop tower to the face of Kingda Ka would seem a little brutal but at least it could look relatively decent.  I am also happy there are three towers.  It means more capacity.  It looks like, if all 3 go at once (which leads me to my next part, just hold onto that), 24 riders.  The stats are saying 30 seconds to get all the way up and back to the ground less than 10 seconds, plus reload and the cable car to return back, it may go a bit quick than I expected.

Now with 3 gondolas, are they all going to be on the same system?  Or will all three work differently?  I mean, knowing Six Flags, they are going to want all 3 gondolas on opening day to work at the same time.  But say on a day where the park is empty and the 3 gondolas are not fully necessary, can two work while one remains grounded.  Or the other way around and on a really busy day to keep the line constantly moving, all three work, but at different paces (example: one is going up, one is going down, one is loading)?  Or even like a random drop system, where all three go up and one by one they drop at random?

I also did a little calculation, you go up at roughly 9.5 mph and the drop, according to the speed of the ride and given time to pick up speed, will last roughly under 4 seconds.  Unless the numbers are tad off, looks like people will be up there waiting for 6 seconds, which seems kinda long.  

Also, Zumanjaro is a great name.  Drop of Doom, however, sounds way too "Six Flags-y".  Zumanjaro sounds fast and unique, which fits right with Kingda Ka.  Drop of Doom sounds generic and should be placed in the generic area of the park.

palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#6 Kingda R

Kingda R

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

The tower actually doesn't look all that ugly.  I was fearing that slapping a drop tower to the face of Kingda Ka would seem a little brutal but at least it could look relatively decent.  I am also happy there are three towers.  It means more capacity.  It looks like, if all 3 go at once (which leads me to my next part, just hold onto that), 24 riders.  The stats are saying 30 seconds to get all the way up and back to the ground less than 10 seconds, plus reload and the cable car to return back, it may go a bit quick than I expected.

Now with 3 gondolas, are they all going to be on the same system?  Or will all three work differently?  I mean, knowing Six Flags, they are going to want all 3 gondolas on opening day to work at the same time.  But say on a day where the park is empty and the 3 gondolas are not fully necessary, can two work while one remains grounded.  Or the other way around and on a really busy day to keep the line constantly moving, all three work, but at different paces (example: one is going up, one is going down, one is loading)?  Or even like a random drop system, where all three go up and one by one they drop at random?

I also did a little calculation, you go up at roughly 9.5 mph and the drop, according to the speed of the ride and given time to pick up speed, will last roughly under 4 seconds.  Unless the numbers are tad off, looks like people will be up there waiting for 6 seconds, which seems kinda long.  

Also, Zumanjaro is a great name.  Drop of Doom, however, sounds way too "Six Flags-y".  Zumanjaro sounds fast and unique, which fits right with Kingda Ka.  Drop of Doom sounds generic and should be placed in the generic area of the park.

I would think they would run individually, it would be better in my opinion as far as ride operations go.  Lex Luthor's cars ran separately so I don't see why this one wouldn't.  And as far as the name goes, it doesn't bother me too much but Drop Of Doom as I mentioned will become the new Batman as far as names go lol.

#7 SFNEKid13

SFNEKid13

Koaster Dan

• Site Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

6 seconds at the top isn't as long as it seems. Most drop towers hold you at the top for about that time.

#1 Wooden- El Toro
#1 Steel- Bizarro

Dan_Nixon_Sig_Photo_zps7ea4d821.jpg

#8 ArmsDownHeadBack

ArmsDownHeadBack

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

At 90 mph, this will also be the fastest drop tower in the world, correct?

#9 Zack

Zack

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

I don't understand why removing RT is necessary at all. It's still popular with younger riders who are too small to ride the bigger coasters, not to mention it's one of the parks oldest rides and still draws in crowds every once in a while. It's not in the way of the construction of the new attraction.

Either we get a GCI in RT's old footprint in 2015 or my head is gonna explode.

#10 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm so excited for this world breaking experience! I mean, come on? A drop tower attached to Kingda Ka, in a location that was restricted to guests? That's freaking awesome. This amazing experience comes at a price. I've grown to love Rolling Thunder. I took that ride for granted. I thought that ride would last forever (since it's such a classic woodie). I figured the park would try to keep this classic alive. RT, you were a great ride. R.I.P.  

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#11 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

I guess the other side of the park after BTR and TDK will be a ghost town again.  Does not sound like this great "40th Annivesary" announcement we should have gotten...

rjl

#12 YankeesAnt

YankeesAnt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

If they don't give us a GCI Lightning Racer-esque ride in that spot and give it a Spanish theme in 2015...  I will cry.  Then again I cry every time I think about all of the **** I would change about this park...  They need to step back and really think about the type of riders that come to their park and what is necessary to be done.  Just a reminder, I don't ride big coasters, so this really effects me!  I know that's my choice but still, think about the ten year olds who need something to ride too.

The story of families who come to GA:

9 year old:  What can we ride next?

Dad:  Skull Mountain?

9 year old:  We just did that three times!

Dad:  TDK?

9 year old:  Too boring and hot!

Dad:  Runaway Train?

9 year old:  For the tenth time?!

Dad:  You wanna race mommy on Rolling Thun--  Oh wait...  Let's leave.

SHORE & COASTERS

#13 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Screenshot I took of the restraints from the video.

http://imgur.com/F6zthuB

sig_kaiser.png

#14 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

They should keep Rolling Thunder and refurbish it.  Still a fun classic coaster and after riding "the Cyclone" last week for the 1st time, i forgot how much I like these classic style woodies.

rjl

#15 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Screenshot I took of the restraints from the video.

http://imgur.com/F6zthuB

The harness is the same for most current drop towers. (ex. Doom's at IOA, Lex Luthor's (of course)).

I like this restrain system. It's very comfortable. 

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users