Zumanjaro: Drop Of Doom Coming In 2014!

348 replies to this topic

#16 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Looks like another great addition to the park. Dominator at Dorney seems like a tall ride and this new ride is around 3 times the height so it should be intense. It will probably be the ride you need to get to right at opening to avoid a long wait, good thing gold passes allow early entry next year. And speaking of gold passes I am very surprised to see they lowered the price of the pass by $20. For 2013 a premium pass was $59.99 at the renewal rate and the parking pass was $60 so it was $119.99, for 2014 a gold pass with parking at all parks is $99.99

As for Rolling Thunder I will miss it, but I was more unhappy about Scream Machine's removal. Hopefully the park gets a new wooden coaster in the next few years to replace it.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#17 tge98

tge98

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

I guess the other side of the park after BTR and TDK will be a ghost town again.  Does not sound like this great "40th Annivesary" announcement we should have gotten...

TGE didn't get anything special for their 60th or their 50th in 2004

#18 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

"Hey - Let's tear down a classic wooden coaster with two seperate tracks, and replace it with a Drop Tower! You know.... the same kind of ride that every amusement park in the country has! It will be a big hit!"

Said NOBODY ever......

Mangar
Lucid Vision

#19 jsessica

jsessica

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Since Rolling Thunder is going , that area will be very small and only have 1 roller coaster. Also then you can see the turns at the end of El Toro.

Edited by Yoshi, 29 August 2013 - 04:46 PM.
Grammar

#20 Kingda R

Kingda R

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

"Hey - Let's tear down a classic wooden coaster with two seperate tracks, and replace it with a Drop Tower! You know.... the same kind of ride that every amusement park in the country has! It will be a big hit!"

Said NOBODY ever......

I honestly believe they have something planned for 2015 as far as a coaster goes, this is just my theory but I can't see us losing a coaster and not replacing it anytime soon.  We are officially a man down in the coaster count now :( Plus the area where Rolling Thunder stands will be for the baboons I think.  Does anyone actually know what Zumanjaro means?  I hope it's not just an obscure name with Drop Of Doom attached to it just for the heck of it.  Lex Luthor's DOD actually fits as you can put the two of them together. 

#21 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Kingda Ka was a made up name so so isn't Zumanjaro. Lol. 

#22 Kingda R

Kingda R

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Kingda Ka was a made up name so so isn't Zumanjaro. Lol. 

Ka's name is original as is Zumanjaro's I'm just wondering how the whole Drop Of Doom part come in to play.  It fits Lex Luthor as it could be his device to eliminate his enemies and so on.   

#23 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

I think you guys are overplaying the whole Rolling Thunder removal.  Listen, I am as sad as the next guy that one of my first "big" coasters is being taken down.  Losing Rolling Thunder is a huge shot to the heart of many people.  It will have a nostalgic feel next year when we see PDC without Rolling Thunder along side El Toro, and I know I'll miss the screeching sound of Rolling Thunder's final turn.  Yet, you guys need to realize that Rolling Thunder has merely nothing to do Zumanjaro.  While the park is getting a new exhibit along with the drop tower, Rolling Thunder's removal is most certainly for future construction.  I doubt ALL of Rolling Thunder is taken up by the Drop Tower's queue/exit and the exhibit.  

As for a replacement woodie, I will say it once again, but El Toro is still young.  I would not put my chips in on getting a wooden coaster in 2015.  That spot will probably remain vacant for a couple years, unless Plaza Del Carnival and/or Golden Kingdom gets an expansion within the two years or so.  I won't go into speculation, that's for the 2015 thread, but this removal is not entirely for Zumanjaro (it has it's relevance because the area by Kingda Ka's entrance will probably expand to accommodate two queues and exits)

palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#24 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

I gave my thoughts on this in the other locked thread, so rather then just retype it. I'll just re-quote, and bold the pertinent stuff.

Some random thoughts on this thread...

1. Removing Rolling Thunder for any reason is completely stupid. A moronic and horrible idea. Which leads me to believe that Six Flags just might do it. It's a nostalgic coaster that really don't compare favourably with modern ones - Yet is still quite fun and enjoyable. It's also tame enough for families to ride. One of it's more important roles is that it helps absorb people. IE: Lessens lines elsewhere. Which in a park with few flat rides is important. This would almost be as stupid as removing the Shoot the Chutes and Batman and Robin Coaster, just so they could add that abomination that is - TDK.

2. TDK remains the most god-awful, piece of garbage ride in the park. I've ridden on boardwalk dark rides that were both more thrilling, and more enjoyable. TDK had only one redeeming quality - Air Conditioning. However, they somehow managed to f*ck even that up. It's literally the definition of "Fail." However, I agree - It's not going anywhere. They aren't going to remove it, as there's simply no reason to do so. I also don't see them removing Skull Mountain this year, however in a battle of what would be removed first - Skull Mountain easily. Which is sad, because I genuinely like Skull Mountain. It's not a "great" ride, but it is kinda fun. More so in complete darkness.

3. Providing that **NOTHING** else is removed - Adding a Drop Tower is a good idea. It's essentially a flat ride, and any such additions are welcome.

4. Anyone who thinks adding a Drop Tower is going to increase attendance is crazy. It's a f*cking drop tower. A glorified Free Fall. Every park has one, and nobody really cares. People will ride it if they are in the park, but NOBODY is going to say "OMG - Screw Kingka Ka and El Toro, I gotta go to Six Flags and like... Go Up and Down quickly! Never done that before!" I mean, it's good to have, but it's not going to bring a single person in. It's worth adding, but not worth removing ANYTHING for. Including a Tilt-A-Whirl.

5. I elaborated on my hotel thoughts in the other thread, but to sum up: While I think it's a good idea, I wouldn't bet on it happening. A Hotel possibly, but all the other crap? I'll believe it when I see it.

Now with that said: It's still a stupid idea. Any apologists who point at 'Future Expansion" are just trying to invent reasons to explain away why this isn't the absolute worst idea since TDK or removing the Scream Machine. The simple fact remains that Six Flags is removing a classic wooden roller coaster with **TWO** tracks, and replacing it with a f*cking drop tower. The same kind of drop tower that exists in nearly every park in the country, including many boardwalks. What highlights how bad an idea this is is the simple fact, that just adding nothing and leaving Rolling Thunder alone would have been BETTER. It would be like removing Bizarro or Skull Mountain and adding a Scrambler. It's just plain dumb.

Again...

Six Flags is tearing down a major Roller Coaster, and adding a Drop Tower.

Period.

Mangar
Lucid Vision

#25 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

^ Here's the thing, tearing down Rolling Thunder? OK fine. I don't really like it, but it makes sense to open up a new space and to get rid of a ride that was probably ready to collapse or something. But they have to do something with that area. They can't just leave it as empty space like most of Movietown. If they haul in a couple of flats, give them some names that vaguely go with the area's theme, and stick them over there for the time being, that would be fine. At least it's something instead of a another abandoned area.

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

#26 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

I gave my thoughts on this in the other locked thread, so rather then just retype it. I'll just re-quote, and bold the pertinent stuff.

Some random thoughts on this thread...

1. Removing Rolling Thunder for any reason is completely stupid. A moronic and horrible idea. Which leads me to believe that Six Flags just might do it. It's a nostalgic coaster that really don't compare favourably with modern ones - Yet is still quite fun and enjoyable. It's also tame enough for families to ride. One of it's more important roles is that it helps absorb people. IE: Lessens lines elsewhere. Which in a park with few flat rides is important. This would almost be as stupid as removing the Shoot the Chutes and Batman and Robin Coaster, just so they could add that abomination that is - TDK.

2. TDK remains the most god-awful, piece of garbage ride in the park. I've ridden on boardwalk dark rides that were both more thrilling, and more enjoyable. TDK had only one redeeming quality - Air Conditioning. However, they somehow managed to f*ck even that up. It's literally the definition of "Fail." However, I agree - It's not going anywhere. They aren't going to remove it, as there's simply no reason to do so. I also don't see them removing Skull Mountain this year, however in a battle of what would be removed first - Skull Mountain easily. Which is sad, because I genuinely like Skull Mountain. It's not a "great" ride, but it is kinda fun. More so in complete darkness.

3. Providing that **NOTHING** else is removed - Adding a Drop Tower is a good idea. It's essentially a flat ride, and any such additions are welcome.

4. Anyone who thinks adding a Drop Tower is going to increase attendance is crazy. It's a f*cking drop tower. A glorified Free Fall. Every park has one, and nobody really cares. People will ride it if they are in the park, but NOBODY is going to say "OMG - Screw Kingka Ka and El Toro, I gotta go to Six Flags and like... Go Up and Down quickly! Never done that before!" I mean, it's good to have, but it's not going to bring a single person in. It's worth adding, but not worth removing ANYTHING for. Including a Tilt-A-Whirl.

5. I elaborated on my hotel thoughts in the other thread, but to sum up: While I think it's a good idea, I wouldn't bet on it happening. A Hotel possibly, but all the other crap? I'll believe it when I see it.

Now with that said: It's still a stupid idea. Any apologists who point at 'Future Expansion" are just trying to invent reasons to explain away why this isn't the absolute worst idea since TDK or removing the Scream Machine. The simple fact remains that Six Flags is removing a classic wooden roller coaster with **TWO** tracks, and replacing it with a f*cking drop tower. The same kind of drop tower that exists in nearly every park in the country, including many boardwalks. What highlights how bad an idea this is is the simple fact, that just adding nothing and leaving Rolling Thunder alone would have been BETTER. It would be like removing Bizarro or Skull Mountain and adding a Scrambler. It's just plain dumb.

Again...

Six Flags is tearing down a major Roller Coaster, and adding a Drop Tower.

But your only looking at it from a short term perspective. Six Flags is not replacing Rolling Thunder with a drop tower. Six Flags may not have a replacement for Rolling Thunder at this moment. Eventually, the park may choose to develop the land, but if the ride needed to be removed for some reason or another then it's good that they removed it. Instead of beating a dead horse and focusing on all of the park's maybe not so favorable decisions, let's bring our focus to the park's future. 

The Drop tower will prove to be an excellent addition; one of the best we've had in years! GET EXCITED!

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#27 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

It's sad to see Rolling Thunder go, definitely the end of an era in the parks history, but I'm excited for Zumanjaro. Heres a possible path layout that I made.

kumonjaro.jpg

#28 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

^ As much as I would love those back paths (they would give us some AMAZING views of El Toro!!) I don't think the park is looking into creating so many paths that don't lead anywhere besides a big circle. I mean, that would be really awesome for future expansion, I just don't see the park spending the money on those paths when they don't have a definite attraction to go in that area. The Drop Tower would be a draw, but the announcement said ZDOD would be in The Golden Kingdom, but what's displayed there is kind of a grey area between The Golden Kingdom and Plaza Del Carnival. But besides it being not-realistic, I love your ideas!!!

Here's a mock-up of what I think the expansion will look like:

Screenshot2013-08-29at110750PM_zps57c040

- Baboon's strictly take over Tiger habitat

- Balin's Jungle returns (hoping that it will be an unannounced addition (very much wishful thinking)). 

- ZDOD's queue stretches off of Kingda Ka's queue (the junction point would be where Kingda Ka's queue and it's old queue meet)

- I'm hoping some of the Green area that was once Rolling Thunder Footprint becomes more room for the Baboon's, but hey, you can only get so much in a year. 

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#29 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

What I want to know is how they're going to work around the hydraulics building. This was the best picture I could find of it from the Ka tour last year. There really isn't enough room in that area to hold the loading area for 3 towers. I wonder if they're going to build a raised platform maybe 20ft off the ground?

gL3vVOu.jpg

Posted Image

#30 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

^ As much as I would love those back paths (they would give us some AMAZING views of El Toro!!) I don't think the park is looking into creating so many paths that don't lead anywhere besides a big circle. I mean, that would be really awesome for future expansion, I just don't see the park spending the money on those paths when they don't have a definite attraction to go in that area. The Drop Tower would be a draw, but the announcement said ZDOD would be in The Golden Kingdom, but what's displayed there is kind of a grey area between The Golden Kingdom and Plaza Del Carnival. But besides it being not-realistic, I love your ideas!!!

Here's a mock-up of what I think the expansion will look like:

Screenshot2013-08-29at110750PM_zps57c040

- Baboon's strictly take over Tiger habitat

- Balin's Jungle returns (hoping that it will be an unannounced addition (very much wishful thinking)). 

- ZDOD's queue stretches off of Kingda Ka's queue (the junction point would be where Kingda Ka's queue and it's old queue meet)

- I'm hoping some of the Green area that was once Rolling Thunder Footprint becomes more room for the Baboon's, but hey, you can only get so much in a year. 

This is definitely a possibility, however I see a few problems. Your queue goes through a wetlands area that the park probably can't build on. It would be more likely for a queue to follow RT's footprint out to Ka's tower. I also think the baboons need more space than what is currently available in Safari Discoveries. If you look at Safari Discoveries compared to the former Baboon section in the safari, the area in the safari is much larger. Finally, your plan doesn't show any new development at all in Rolling Thunder's footprint, which defeats the purpose of removing RT. I think if the park were going to remove a coaster for a drop tower, they would utilize the open land to the greatest extent to make the expansion flow well into the rest of the park. I don't think the park will go nuts creating many many paths leading to the drop tower but I do think they will add several paths to make the ride easier for guests to find and the entrance to be less cramped.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users