I gave my thoughts on this in the other locked thread, so rather then just retype it. I'll just re-quote, and bold the pertinent stuff.
Some random thoughts on this thread...
1. Removing Rolling Thunder for any reason is completely stupid. A moronic and horrible idea. Which leads me to believe that Six Flags just might do it. It's a nostalgic coaster that really don't compare favourably with modern ones - Yet is still quite fun and enjoyable. It's also tame enough for families to ride. One of it's more important roles is that it helps absorb people. IE: Lessens lines elsewhere. Which in a park with few flat rides is important. This would almost be as stupid as removing the Shoot the Chutes and Batman and Robin Coaster, just so they could add that abomination that is - TDK.
2. TDK remains the most god-awful, piece of garbage ride in the park. I've ridden on boardwalk dark rides that were both more thrilling, and more enjoyable. TDK had only one redeeming quality - Air Conditioning. However, they somehow managed to f*ck even that up. It's literally the definition of "Fail." However, I agree - It's not going anywhere. They aren't going to remove it, as there's simply no reason to do so. I also don't see them removing Skull Mountain this year, however in a battle of what would be removed first - Skull Mountain easily. Which is sad, because I genuinely like Skull Mountain. It's not a "great" ride, but it is kinda fun. More so in complete darkness.
3. Providing that **NOTHING** else is removed - Adding a Drop Tower is a good idea. It's essentially a flat ride, and any such additions are welcome.
4. Anyone who thinks adding a Drop Tower is going to increase attendance is crazy. It's a f*cking drop tower. A glorified Free Fall. Every park has one, and nobody really cares. People will ride it if they are in the park, but NOBODY is going to say "OMG - Screw Kingka Ka and El Toro, I gotta go to Six Flags and like... Go Up and Down quickly! Never done that before!" I mean, it's good to have, but it's not going to bring a single person in. It's worth adding, but not worth removing ANYTHING for. Including a Tilt-A-Whirl.
5. I elaborated on my hotel thoughts in the other thread, but to sum up: While I think it's a good idea, I wouldn't bet on it happening. A Hotel possibly, but all the other crap? I'll believe it when I see it.
Now with that said: It's still a stupid idea. Any apologists who point at 'Future Expansion" are just trying to invent reasons to explain away why this isn't the absolute worst idea since TDK or removing the Scream Machine. The simple fact remains that Six Flags is removing a classic wooden roller coaster with **TWO** tracks, and replacing it with a f*cking drop tower. The same kind of drop tower that exists in nearly every park in the country, including many boardwalks. What highlights how bad an idea this is is the simple fact, that just adding nothing and leaving Rolling Thunder alone would have been BETTER. It would be like removing Bizarro or Skull Mountain and adding a Scrambler. It's just plain dumb.
Six Flags is tearing down a major Roller Coaster, and adding a Drop Tower.