348 replies to this topic

#31 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

This is definitely a possibility, however I see a few problems. Your queue goes through a wetlands area that the park probably can't build on. It would be more likely for a queue to follow RT's footprint out to Ka's tower. I also think the baboons need more space than what is currently available in Safari Discoveries. If you look at Safari Discoveries compared to the former Baboon section in the safari, the area in the safari is much larger. Finally, your plan doesn't show any new development at all in Rolling Thunder's footprint, which defeats the purpose of removing RT. I think if the park were going to remove a coaster for a drop tower, they would utilize the open land to the greatest extent to make the expansion flow well into the rest of the park. I don't think the park will go nuts creating many many paths leading to the drop tower but I do think they will add several paths to make the ride easier for guests to find and the entrance to be less cramped.

Alright, move the ZDOD queue next to the wetlands on the left side. I just re-read the announcement press release, and John Fitzgerald said, "Guests will be able to see the lively primates, also known as olive baboons, up close in their new habitat formerly known as Safari Discoveries" This means in the current footprint of Safari Discoveries. If the park were to expand it, they would've found some way to market it to the press ("newly expanded" perhaps). I think your area was a tad too large in the first place, and I just don't believe that the park is willing to remove Balin's Jungle just yet. I have a hunch that the park will re-develop Balin's for next year, along with reopening the Golden Kingdom Path so that the Baboon's have a new audience to attract.

I left Rolling Thunder's area like that on purpose. It's a blank canvas for future expansion. For an unspecified amount of time (to our knowledge), Rolling Thunder's footprint will remain like The Old Country - sitting desolate, closed off and waiting for development. You can quote me on this, because I STRONGLY believe the park will not create a series of paths in that back area for the time being. Maybe the park has some sort of plan for that area. GACoaster over at GAH speculates that the park may have removed Rolling Thunder (along with the rides age, cost, infrastructure, and dwindling popularity) to bring Hurricane Harbor into the park by placing a majority of the Water Park in the Baboon's old spot and the other part in Rolling Thunder's spot (he estimates the cost at being anywhere from 15 - 20 mil.)

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#32 jdc12192

jdc12192

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

I cant believe people think they will just 'move' the water park to attach it to the theme park. I cant see them doing that; EVER. One, it would be so much (unnecessary)work and probably cost a fortune. Two, they're making money off people who want to go to hurricane harbor for the day, if they attach it to the theme park, 2 'parks' for the price of 1? I get they did this with the safari but i feel with the water park its a totally different situation. 

#33 Tommo987

Tommo987

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

When will they start building Zumanjaro?
They probably need to close Kingda Ka when doing?
I will be in Six Flags at the end of September and I really want to ride Kingda Ka :P

#34 CycloneRacer

CycloneRacer

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

I cant believe people think they will just 'move' the water park to attach it to the theme park. I cant see them doing that; EVER. One, it would be so much (unnecessary)work and probably cost a fortune. Two, they're making money off people who want to go to hurricane harbor for the day, if they attach it to the theme park, 2 'parks' for the price of 1? I get they did this with the safari but i feel with the water park its a totally different situation. 

I do seem to recall sometime back about talk of a monorail that would connect the water park and theme park. Not sure if this is still being considered any longer, but if it is still, do you think Rolling Thunders station could be retrofitted to accommodate this type of transit system?

Edited by Kaiser, 31 August 2013 - 12:50 PM.
Removed 10,000 lines of extra space

#35 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Six flags could probably use the unused parts of the safari to expand Hurricane Harbor but it would be very weird. It would double HH's size but the only problem is the park would have to build a bridge to connect the existing part of hurricane harbor to the new section. However, a park expansion out into the safari is not far fetched (at least not geographically) and the closer the park gets to Hurricane Harbor, the easier it is to connect the two parks.

waterpark+expansion.jpg

As you see the blue area is a very large area of land. If the park were to develop it, Hurricane Harbor would only be a short path and a bridge away. The only problem would be that a walk from Nitro to the Wave Pool would be one hell of a hike by theme park standards. Its a 1.5 mile walk.

#36 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

I think this a bit too much of a stretch.  This would not be a plan that would take a year or two.  This would be, if it were to even happen, be a roughly 10 year plan.  It would go a bit like this:

Hurricane Harbor would have to expand even more, which is promising because there have been multiple additions the last couple years and the attendance rate seems to be rising a bit.

Then we could have to see how the park attack the other side of the park, as in Old Country and Movietown, which is way more of an important expansion part than other side.  It's a deadspot and needs the love.  Fright Fest helped out a bit with the Dead Man's Party over there, but it does nothing for the area in the spring and summer.  Early rumors say a Wing Rider, but maybe something will change over the next year.  That would be 2015.

2016, after seeing SORA, Zumajaro, and probably a coaster in three consecutive year, will probably be something small.  Maybe some flats, perhaps working on Seaport, which is practically dead, maybe a water ride or refurbishment of Congo Rapids.  

Then god only knows if SORA will expand and use some of Safari's old land.   It's young and the experience could use a little diversity, with new routes or a new area on the tour. Plus, ever since the rumor last year that Bizarro could have been on the chopping block, I could see that whole area, including the Fort and the Northern Star, get an overhaul and/or a "Spring Cleaning".  This would be, at the earliest, 2017.  The Fort could use love and at this point, it is more of speculation rather than rumor or prior history.

With that being said, 2018, at the earliest, would be when we could see Rolling Thunder's spot get work on.  I know 4 years of vacancy stinks and PDC will be 95% El Toro, 3% vendors, and 2% Tango for a long time, but I could see maybe that spot being used temporarily like Chiller's station and maybe the station could be worked out as a haunt (just an idea.  I mean, FF could always use another trail and it's an idea).  I would say if an expansion is made there, it would take multiple years, with a filler year here and there for the attention of other parts of the park.  I would say if this park-to-park connection expansion were to happen, which is right now way to farfetched to think about, it would be completed, at the earliest, 2020.  

palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#37 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

I think this a bit too much of a stretch.  This would not be a plan that would take a year or two.  This would be, if it were to even happen, be a roughly 10 year plan.  It would go a bit like this:

Hurricane Harbor would have to expand even more, which is promising because there have been multiple additions the last couple years and the attendance rate seems to be rising a bit.

Then we could have to see how the park attack the other side of the park, as in Old Country and Movietown, which is way more of an important expansion part than other side.  It's a deadspot and needs the love.  Fright Fest helped out a bit with the Dead Man's Party over there, but it does nothing for the area in the spring and summer.  Early rumors say a Wing Rider, but maybe something will change over the next year.  That would be 2015.

2016, after seeing SORA, Zumajaro, and probably a coaster in three consecutive year, will probably be something small.  Maybe some flats, perhaps working on Seaport, which is practically dead, maybe a water ride or refurbishment of Congo Rapids.  

Then god only knows if SORA will expand and use some of Safari's old land.   It's young and the experience could use a little diversity, with new routes or a new area on the tour. Plus, ever since the rumor last year that Bizarro could have been on the chopping block, I could see that whole area, including the Fort and the Northern Star, get an overhaul and/or a "Spring Cleaning".  This would be, at the earliest, 2017.  The Fort could use love and at this point, it is more of speculation rather than rumor or prior history.

With that being said, 2018, at the earliest, would be when we could see Rolling Thunder's spot get work on.  I know 4 years of vacancy stinks and PDC will be 95% El Toro, 3% vendors, and 2% Tango for a long time, but I could see maybe that spot being used temporarily like Chiller's station and maybe the station could be worked out as a haunt (just an idea.  I mean, FF could always use another trail and it's an idea).  I would say if an expansion is made there, it would take multiple years, with a filler year here and there for the attention of other parts of the park.  I would say if this park-to-park connection expansion were to happen, which is right now way to farfetched to think about, it would be completed, at the earliest, 2020.  

Your right. Theres no way the park would do that in 2 years or even 5. Needless to say the park has opened a bit of a Pandora's Box by deciding to remove Rolling Thunder as it opens up so much land for redevelopment.

#38 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

They should keep Rolling Thunder and refurbish it.  Still a fun classic coaster and after riding "the Cyclone" last week for the 1st time, i forgot how much I like these classic style woodies.

I totally agree - other than cost, I can't see a good reason to get rid of RT. It's a great ride and has lot's of air-time.  Plus it's the best "mid-range" coaster in the park. They made a big effort to attract more families in recent years and this is exactly the type of coaster the early-teens (and their parents) are looking for. Taking it out doesn't make sense.

Took the family to Coney Island a few weeks back and rode the Cyclone again. There is nothing quite like the older woodies. RT was our Cyclone :(

#39 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

For whatever it's worth, I sent and email and letter to GA stating my disappointment of the removal of RT and asked that they reconcider and try to work it into the new queue line.

http://www.sixflags....av/contact.aspx

Six Flags Great Adventure
Attn: John Fitzgerald, Park President
P.O. Box 120
1 Six Flags Blvd.
Jackson, NJ 08527

#40 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm pretty sure they aren't removing RT for the queue of Zumanjaro. 

#41 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'm pretty sure they aren't removing RT for the queue of  Zumanjaro. 

^That's better

#42 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Six flags could probably use the unused parts of the safari to expand Hurricane Harbor but it would be very weird. It would double HH's size but the only problem is the park would have to build a bridge to connect the existing part of hurricane harbor to the new section. However, a park expansion out into the safari is not far fetched (at least not geographically) and the closer the park gets to Hurricane Harbor, the easier it is to connect the two parks.

waterpark+expansion.jpg

As you see the blue area is a very large area of land. If the park were to develop it, Hurricane Harbor would only be a short path and a bridge away. The only problem would be that a walk from Nitro to the Wave Pool would be one hell of a hike by theme park standards. Its a 1.5 mile walk.

Just taking a moment to appreciate how awesome your diagrams are. I love this. Thank you for sharing this with us!

sig_coasterfreak96.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#43 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

^ yes this move opens a TON of land and more importantly DEVELOPED land!  no fighting with Jackson township over tree removal!  Its actually more than you blued out nitro4ever.  That whole open plot of land where you used to enter the safari with your car is no longer being used so thats all fair game too.  By camparisson look at bizzaro in that pic and realize just how many bizarro's fit there....its a TON of land.  Legitly you could fit two full sections each with two large coasters....EASILY.

There is a lot I'm not understanding with people's complaints though.  Like the naming I think zumanjaro works great....someone tried to tell me the golden kingdom is an asian theme....I'm sorry since when.  It was always a mythical jungle theme and "zumanjaro fits that if you ask me.

Also the coasters for families complaint...we have tdk, bbltt, rmt, and skully for families!!!  Name me another park out there that has four family coasters?!  There arent many!  and for the record the tweens LOVE....I mean LOVE TDK!

Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#44 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

There is a lot I'm not understanding with people's complaints though.  Like the naming I think zumanjaro works great....someone tried to tell me the golden kingdom is an asian theme....I'm sorry since when.  It was always a mythical jungle theme and "zumanjaro fits that if you ask me.

I think when the area opened it had a bit more of an Indian feel to it based on the architecture of the buildings and the tigers. On the other hand, with the addition of ZDOD and the baboons, the area could easily pass for mythical jungle.

sig_coasttocoaster.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#45 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

https://www.change.o...thunder-rolling

Really?  I feel like this was the old "Save Houdini" Facebook page that was started on this site a couple years ago.  While it may seem hypocritical because Houdini was actually saved, but do you really think this is actually going to happen?  Houdini was one thing; a SBNO flat that would easily benefit the park on its operation.  RT is, or was, a coaster with enough wear and tear and has reached a point of no return.  Like c'mon now, this is too much.  Can't people just let it go already?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users