9/27/13 Photo Trip Report

4 replies to this topic

#1 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Another Friday night, another trip to Great Adventure. Last year on this Friday, I had my trip cut short because of bad rain and most rides shutting down plus Adventure Alley flooding. I left a little earlier this week and got to the entrance gates at 5:05. There was a larger crowd than I was expecting with it still 25 minutes before opening. At 5:20, they let the premium passholders in.

Since Nitro wasn't ready when I went to it the past 2 weeks, I went to Batman and was the only person there. About 2 minutes later, I was told I could enter the queue and almost got a solo ride until 2 other people went into the station before the air gates were opened. I was going to stay on the coaster for a re-ride but it had broken down.

After Batman I went to Nitro and got 3 rides with no wait and then walked around so I could get the front row for my 4th ride since I had thought it was my 300th ride. Except I counted wrong and my 3rd ride of the day was my 300th ride. After the 4th ride, I stayed on the train moving to an empty row. Nitro is the first coaster I have gotten 300 laps at and I can't think of a better coaster have ridden the most.

I was going to take the Skyway to the other side of the park and on the way, I saw Shelby was the entrance to Skull Mountain so I stopped there and went to the 4th car since I didn't feel like waiting for the last row today.

The Skyway was only running 1 side, not that 2 sides were needed with such low crowds.

Bizarro had no wait except for the front so I went to the last row. Kevin was at the microphone and was trying to get everyone in the station excited about their ride on Bizarro and talking about Zumanjaro. 

Runaway Mine Train also had no wait and after that I walked over to Rolling Thunder to see if demolition had started. Nothing has changed but I noticed the lights were on in the area under the station and the train storage building.

Kingda Ka was next, it was a station wait at the longest. For my first ride, I was waiting for the 2nd row when a ride op asked me if I was a single rider since the front row had an empty seat so I could sit there if I wanted which was nice. I walked around for 2 more rides and like Nitro my 4th ride was going to be a milestone ride, my 100th Kingda Ka ride. Except like at Nitro, I miscounted and my 3rd ride was my 100th ride. I forgot to enter my ride totals from last week which messed up the ride totals overall but I caught it after I entered everything. For the 4th ride, there was a breakdown and 1 ride op was encouraging everyone to leave and come back later since he said the line will likely be very short when it reopens. I decided to wait around for 15 minutes and if it didn't reopen I would leave. It opened around 10 minutes later but because so many people had left the line, we had to wait for more people to enter the station so enough rows would be filled. Because the station was so empty after the train got back to the station, they let our train have a re-ride.

Green Lantern had a mostly empty station but I waited 2 trains for the front row and then moved to the 2nd row for a re-ride. I saw Superman had around a 20 minute wait and didn't feel like waiting so I skipped it today.

I stopped at Blackbeard's and went to Deja Vu both with no wait. Same with The Dark Knight.

I went back to Batman which was a 2 train wait and walked around for another ride and back to Nitro for a night ride. The line was just past the stairs. After the ride, while on the block brakes, the ride broke down and it took a few minutes for the train to re-enter the station so we could exit.

I told Kevin I would try to get back to Bizarro and it was around 10:40 so I walked over to the Skyway with no wait and got to Bizarro's station with less than 10 minutes before closing. The station was completely empty so I went for the front row and was able to ride again without having to change seats since the station was still empty.

Throughout the night, I heard people saying how they couldn't believe how many coasters they were able to ride or how empty the park was. It seems like most people don't go on Friday nights until the last 2 of the season, so I'm glad to take advantage of basically not having to wait for anything.

Ride Count:

Batman, 3x

Nitro, 6x

Bizarro, 3x

Skull Mountain, 1x

The Dark Knight, 1x

Blackbeard's, 1x

Deja Vu, 1x

Skyway, 2x

Green Lantern, 2x

Kingda Ka, 5x

Runaway Mine Train, 1x

First a picture of this same night last year, thankfully it didn't rain last night:

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_3516_zps7d6cbc8d.jpg

The parking lot just before 5:00

IMG_3517_zpsaa8ee20f.jpg

Superman Testing

IMG_3518_zps368c9e09.jpg

IMG_3519_zpse4d69595.jpg

IMG_3520_zpsbf1f2345.jpg

I didn't notice the 3D part of the sign before

IMG_3521_zps25ede32e.jpg

The first 2 weeks of Fright Fest, I did not see the no re-entry sign after 8:00 posted and when I left last week at 9:30, I saw someone with the hand stamps at the exit so they must have just started to enforce this again

IMG_3522_zps5f3f7656.jpg

Batman stuck on the lift

IMG_3523_zps1e191eae.jpg

I think this is new

IMG_3527_zps5137a623.jpg

IMG_3528_zps5f2cae9e.jpg

This is the light on under Rolling Thunder's station. I didn't see anyone working at the time but they could have been inside the area.

IMG_3529_zpsb46c95d4.jpg

IMG_3530_zpsa12529fb.jpg

IMG_3539_zps938df6dc.jpg

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#2 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Throughout the night, I heard people saying how they couldn't believe how many coasters they were able to ride or how empty the park was. It seems like most people don't go on Friday nights until the last 2 of the season, so I'm glad to take advantage of basically not having to wait for anything.

This is good to know.

I think most peoples experiences, and certainly mine -  Is Fright Fest on a Saturday or Sunday. Which is clearly much different from the Friday evening. It does make sense in a way, as the primary reason why I've never bothered with Fright Fest on Friday is that after a full week of working, the absolute LAST thing on my mind is waiting on lines or walking around a Theme Park. I would guess lots of people are in this same mindset, hence how empty it is.

In any case, your review convinced me to go next Friday night. I hope it's as empty as this past one.

Mangar
Lucid Vision

#3 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

I'd expect next Friday should have light crowds, maybe slightly more crowded since it will be October but I'd be surprised if waits were longer than 10 - 15 minutes at the most.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#4 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Congrats on your 300th ride on nitro!! That's so awesome! Thanks for riding bizarro and making the effort to come back at the end of the night! It made my day! Glad to hear you got on a lot and had a Six Flags Day!

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#5 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Thanks

I almost didn't make it back to Bizarro after the Nitro breakdown but I was glad I still had the chance to get back to the coaster and get 2 more rides in.

It was definitely a Six Flags day (as was the previous 2 Friday nights).

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users