2 replies to this topic

#1 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

October 25th was the final Friday the park was open. It was a really, really cold evening for going to a theme park with the temperatures foretasted to dip into the mid 30s. To prepare, I wore a heavier jacket, a hoodie underneath that, and Under Armour as a final layer. I also wore gloves intermittently, pulling them off to take a few photos and videos here and there.

I decided to head for the right side of the park for a change and hopped on Batman: the Ride first. There was a mess of people heading down the queue path and I was worried that there would be a line despite being a little after 5:30. It ended up being a station wait. I took a back row and waited two trains.

Next, I took a peek at Nitro, which I saw had workers trekking up the lift while heading for Batman earlier. It was closed with a modest line forming out the entrance, so I went to Skull Mountain instead. I waited one train for a backseat and was seemingly the only one in the back half of the train. The attendant pushed my bar down from “coaster enthusiast” position to “safety first” position. Blah. However, since the train was front heavy, I was absolutely whipped over the drop. Maybe the bar fully down wasn’t such a bad idea!

I took Sky Way over to the other side of the park and went right for Runaway Mine Train once I exited. One train wait for this. I could have walked right through an open air gate if I got there a few seconds sooner. Bizarro was my next stop, which I thought was going to have a line, but had an almost empty station instead! I hopped into an open row and was on with nary a wait. This got my hopes up that the park wouldn’t be as crowded as I thought it would be. I could have easily secured a front seat spot while exiting since a pair of seats were open, but decided to do it later…hey, it wasn’t that crowded after all!

Weeeellll….I got to El Toro and found a full queue. What? This would be a recurring theme from that point forward. I walked over to Green Lantern and saw a line nearing the first set of switchbacks. No thank you. I ended up walking around and hitting some of the flatrides like Teacups, Swashbuckler and Fender Benders. I also stopped by Dead Man’s Party and actually watched the entire show for once.

It was now 9pm and I was starting to get cold and hungry, so I decided to start wrapping things up. For my final coaster of 2013, I sucked it up and got in line for Nitro. I entered the queue and found it to be at the 120 minute sign; in other words, about 40 minutes. I waited for the back row and got probably the coldest coaster ride I’ve ever been on. It did feel pretty awesome flying through the sub-40 degree air at 80mph. Needless to say I was freezing once I got off though! I took my last flatride of the year on Sky Screamer, which now had a one cycle wait. I was more than ready to head to the car and crank up the heat once I got off that. I exited the park at around 10:30pm. Not the best trip, but I had fun nonetheless. Until next season…

Here's a few photos. I didn't take too many on this trip:

evlQO9o.jpg

nxoeWWT.jpg

p4Eqi6X.jpg

S3CzReK.jpg

VvsApbW.jpg?1

And here's that video I talked about making in my last trip report, It has clips from both the 10/18 and 10/25 trips:

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

#2 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

I really like that picture of Nitro with the lift hill and station lit up. It would have been nice if crowds were lower but at least it wasn't as bad as Saturday or Sunday.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#3 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

Yeah, as crowded as it was, Friday was a breath of fresh air compared to a Sat or Sun during FF. I remember going on a Saturday several years ago and seeing literally every ride have a full queue. Even Scream Machine and Batman! El Toro's line started near Bizarro and Kingda Ka...I don't even know where that one went. I seem to remember that people in line would come out of the restricted area on the left side of GK's path and be hailed over to the other side in groups so that they wouldn't block the main path.

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users