Photo
- - - - -

2013 Great Adventure Season Report Card

3 replies to this topic

Poll: What Grade Would You Give The 2013 Season?

What Grade Would You Give The 2013 Season?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

The 2013 has come to an end. The big changes this year were the addition of Safari Offroad Adventure, Big Wave Racer in Hurricane Harbor, the addition of the Season Dining Pass and the removal of Rolling Thunder.

What grade would you give the 2013 Season and why?

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#2 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I gave the season a B+

Operations were generally good. Nitro and Skull Mountain had fast dispatches as they always have. Superman and Green Lantern also had faster dispatches than in past years.  The only coaster where I think operations weren’t good was Rolling Thunder with it taking as long as 4 minutes to dispatch a train but I guess now that doesn’t matter.

The parachutes always had multiple sides running and the Skyway had both sides open often even on days when crowds were low.

It was rare to see 1 train running on coasters except when crowds were minimal to the point where even with 1 train running, the trains weren’t going out full.

The park was clean and employees were nice which has been the case for as long as I have been a passholder.

The operating schedule was a big improvement this year. The park opening on March 23rd was the earliest in the history of the park and Fright Fest started earlier with it running for 7 weeks. It was also nice to see the park open a few days during the week after Labor Day. The only disappointment with the schedule was that they were not open the first weekend in November like some parks in the area.

The season dining pass was a really great addition. Before this season I rarely ate a meal at the park because I refused to spend $10+ on 1 meal. With the dining pass, it was really nice to be able to walk up to any restaurant that accepted the pass and order a meal without thinking about the price.

I can’t comment on the Safari Off Road Adventure as I did not try it this year but it’s disappointed that you can no longer drive through the safari especially now you have to wait a while in line unless you get there right at opening.  Safari Discoveries also closed which was a shame since it was nice to walk through as a shortcut to get to Kingda Ka from Frontier Adventures and Plaza Del Carnaval and have the chance to stop and see the animals.

The big negative for the season for me was Rolling Thunder being removed. I won’t miss it as much as other removed coasters like Scream Machine but it’s always disappointing to lose a coaster.

It was also a shame to see the Log Flume on a shorter operating schedule this year.  It was understandable to not have it open in the beginning of the year because of the Safari construction but even with 5 trips to the park in September, it was closed during all of my trips. The Congo Rapids were open much later into the season which was good to see for anyone who didn’t mind getting possibly soaked.

Overall, I still thought there were many more positives to the season than negatives.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#3 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

I only visitied twice so I didn't vote because I didn't feel I could appropriately gage the season on 2 visits.  What I will say is my thoughts have changed I've been saying for quite some time that the biggest thing we needed were dark rides...but now I'm changing that to shows. The more I've visited other parks across the country which is now every major theme park from San Antonio and east with only the exception of Darien Lake (not saying I've visited EVERY park east of Texas but every MAJOR park east of Texas except Darien Lake) they all generally have something in the way of shows.  We almost have nothing if it weren't for the fact that we had sea lions at the park before current management got there I'm almost certain we would have nothing. We DESPERATELY NEED shows!  People need something to do besides waling around the park waiting in line and riding rides....and really at gadv thats almost all there is.  I would also like to see a nice banquet hall for a dinner show a lot of parks like Kings Island and fiesta texas have them.  They're big and open with a stage at the front and really just long bench tables setup to sit on.  Where I think it could go is where the eatery is in what is supposedly the golden kingdom and what used to be a part of the frontier.  It doesn't make sense anymore as being apart of the golden kingdom cause its completely seperated from the rest of the GK.  I say tear down the eatery and then you have all the land behind it where the tigers used to be to extend back a large banquet hall.  I wouldn't make it apart of the frontier again the truth is live western shows kinda dull on amusement park guests.  I'd make it apart of the boardwalk that way you could literally put almost any kind of show in there and it'll makes sense.

Edit: They could also take down the paintball game and put it there if they use all of the pathway in front up to the arcade building andmake the hall even eith the arcade and the other building I could see there being enough room there to make this happen....heck then they could make it apart of fantasy forest instead too 

Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#4 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

A dark ride is still my most wanted addition to the park, I agree shows are really needed as well. I rarely watch shows when I go to parks (except at Disney) but for a park the size of Great Adventure there should be more shows and they already have the arenas like the Stunt Arena and that indoor place near where Chiller that really should be used other than for the Hypnotist show during Fright Fest and the Stunt Arena for school award ceremonies during class trips/band competitions.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users