30 replies to this topic

#16 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

There isn't one specific quote to put here, but on the themeparkreview POV of I-305, there is a long conversation in comments between a group of people, and one user in particular claims that I-305 is a terrible coaster and provided no evidence. I'd recommend checking it out- as an idea, his username is, get this, IntelligentSFMMFanboy.

#17 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I love that holiday world put its renaming the ride contest as public comments. Here is a great one:

Babafemi Bumpers
Babafemi is an African word which means my father loves me.

Um....
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#18 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

Well, at least it begins with a "B"
That's a start...

#19 RC98

RC98

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

This isn't really a quote, but I was taking a practice National Spanish Exam (a national test for students taking Spanish) and one of the questions involved a paragraph reading on why amusement parks are dangerous... I felt like smacking the computer screen when I saw it.  One of the people that made the test must be a member of the "general public"!

My YouTube Account: http://www.youtube.c...rCoasterRider98
Total Coasters Ridden: 100

#20 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

^People assume amusement parks (particularly coasters) are dangerous, and for some reason it doesn't come across the minds of many that they are safer than they ever were, and are one of the safest activities to engage in.

#21 RC98

RC98

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

Probably because coasters are meant to feel thrilling in a safe way, people who don't like that feeling say it's dangerous. It frustrates me when I see things like what I posted above since basic common sense would show that parks are perfectly safe for riders.

#22 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

I've heard multiple stories of people overhearing guests while queuing for Kingda Ka after a rollback leave the queue, possibly even the park, thinking the ride isn't safe. That to me, is ridiculous. Six Flags payed million of dollars for a record breaking roller coaster, designed by some of the smartest people in the world getting very well paid, and people still think it isn't safe. Most GP probably don't think of that side of it, but it has to cross your mind at some point.

#23 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Its ignorance, what I hate is when people take their ignorance and try and preach something with it.  I have always felt unless I have researched an issue myself I can't and wont form an opinion on it until I do.  Like the congressman in Massachussets Ed Markey years back that was trying to put crazy stipulations on rides based on research HE funded that was found to be extremely flawed, or blackfish being another one.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

^I watched Blackfish about a month ago, and had I not researched afterwards I would have believed it 100%. I am sure that is the same with many GP that believe everything they hear about coasters, no matter how illogical. Like whenever anyone says that they heard a coaster flew off the tracks.

There's one exception to that... (kidding) Edit: Photo credit to All-American Thrills

gybh.jpg

#25 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

^Thats probably not photoshopped toro uses its upstops to the extreme

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 RC98

RC98

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Yes it does and that's why it's the best woodie in the world! Tons of ejector airtime, especially on the ex-RT hill! :)

#27 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

^^Oh I know- that's why I used it as an example- if some theoretical member of the GP saw that, all heck would break loose on claiming how unsafe it is!

#28 NitroKaMedusaMachine

NitroKaMedusaMachine

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

http://www.huffingto...kushpmg00000063

Why can't these people understand it's for their safety? And the article is making Six Flags look like a bad guy when Over Texas, a park in the chain, had an accident last season and Darien Lake, formally part of the chain, had an incident where a legless rider fell off of Ride of Steel two seasons ago. No matter what amusement parks do, they're wrong because people don't understand safety until something happens.

Green Lantern: a suitable replacement, but will never be the same. RIP GASM.

#29 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:18 AM

And if he had been allowed to ride and something had happened, the family would sue Six Flags right away.

I see some people arguing that he mentioned the disability before buying the tickets. How could someone who works in the ticket booth and not ride operations possibly know every ride restriction and the rider requirements? He was still probably able to ride plenty of rides in the park, just not certain coasters/thrill rides.

I think Six Flags should have refunded his money though, even if they felt he shouldn't get a refund because they are getting all this negative press over this now. Although even if he got a refund they still might have gotten bad press.

As acquaz10 said in that thread, the guide with disabilities is available online that he could have looked at before going to the park:

https://www.sixflags...uide_SANA_0.pdf

It seems like every few months this issue comes up at a park and makes the news, I think last year it was a different Six Flags park and maybe Sea World Orlando too.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#30 NitroKaMedusaMachine

NitroKaMedusaMachine

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

And if he had been allowed to ride and something had happened, the family would sue Six Flags right away.

I see some people arguing that he mentioned the disability before buying the tickets. How could someone who works in the ticket booth and not ride operations possibly know every ride restriction and the rider requirements? He was still probably able to ride plenty of rides in the park, just not certain coasters/thrill rides.

I think Six Flags should have refunded his money though, even if they felt he shouldn't get a refund because they are getting all this negative press over this now. Although even if he got a refund they still might have gotten bad press.

As acquaz10 said in that thread, the guide with disabilities is available online that he could have looked at before going to the park:

https://www.sixflags...uide_SANA_0.pdf

It seems like every few months this issue comes up at a park and makes the news, I think last year it was a different Six Flags park and maybe Sea World Orlando too.

I commented on a bunch of negative comments on the article. One person said that Six Flags should design rides that are safe for people with disabilities. People don't realize that A) The parks don't generally design rides, and B) To make a ride safe for someone with this specific disability while still allowing other people without the disability would be mechanically impossible. I feel like a bit of a know it all on the comments and I understand that I'm an enthusiast meaning I know a great deal about this stuff, but these people just don't know anything about how amusement parks are run and how rides work.

Green Lantern: a suitable replacement, but will never be the same. RIP GASM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users