8 replies to this topic

#1 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

On June 2, Six Flags Magic Mountain released the closing date of their famous racing wooden coaster- August 16, 2014. This all but confirmed the rumors of Colossus receiving the "Iron Horse" treatment from Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC). What do you all think of this decision? Is this a breath of new life into Colossus, Magic Mountain, and the Six Flags chain, or a multi-million dollar mistake over-investing in this costly park for the sake of adding coasters?
Things that I find interesting about this decision:
-Six Flags continues to re-engineer (or perhaps demolish) outdated/past their prime wooden coasters
-Six Flags yet agin chooses to invest millions in Magic Mountain in coaster projects yet again
-RT, a comparable coaster, was demolished, not redone

Some questions I have-
Recently, SF has been installing one completely new coaster per year, plus one Iron Horse project. SFnE's Cyclone is very likely to receive the same treatment- will SF install a NEW coaster in the chain in 2015, more importantly at Gadv?
Why did SF choose to remove RT, but (probably) not Colossus? Is it that much better?

Feel free to discuss!

#2 RC98

RC98

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

The only thing I can guess as to why Colossus may stay is that's a bigger/taller ride, so it may give RMC more ability to transform it. Also it seems they are using SFMM to compete with CP as being the biggest, best known thrill park.

For the likeliness of us getting a coaster it is still possible IMO that they do give one to our park. Even if it's not RMC, there are still other companies SF regularly uses (Intamin and Premier mostly) that could make a coaster for us. So far there are two rumored Iron Horses but 1. that doesn't mean they'll both happen and 2. just because it's a pattern it doesn't mean there can't be exceptions. In 2012 two new big coasters were put in (Superman SFDK and X-Flight SFGAm) so anything is possible.
My YouTube Account: http://www.youtube.c...rCoasterRider98
Total Coasters Ridden: 100

#3 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

IMO, Cyclone getting the Iron Horse is the same situation as Colossus- it's only a matter of time until it closes. SFNE will be getting two new coasters in the next four years, so I can only imagine the evidence physically visible on Cyclone points towards a conversion in 2015. Also, I agree with you about SF installing two new coasters in 2012, but both were smaller coasters of their type, and the cost of Superman at SFDK is basically the difference in cost of a larger wing coaster over X-Flight. Colossus, depending on the specs, is likely the largest Iron Horse project to date, and I'm not even sure it will open in 2015. There's a chance it'll be 2016, just as the New Texas Giant required 1+ years of construction.

#4 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Topic moved to Worldwide Parks and Discussions

sig_kaiser.png

#5 BMac

BMac

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

With the sheer size of Colossus and the possibility that they won't just retrack it, construction will take more than 12 months to complete. Probably closer to 18 really. RMC announced that they have three projects in the works over the next 2 years, Wildfire and Iron Colossus are two so it's only a matter of time until we hear about #3.

Six Flags really likes working with RMC, Intamin, and B&M, but having 6 B&Ms at Great Adventure just seems like way too much (hell 5 seems like too much to me). They also have 3 Intamin coasters, and 3 other rides from them (Zumanjaro, Buccaneer, Congo) so having another addition from them taking into account their history over the last few years of building coasters that self-destruct I really hope that they're not tabbed for the 2015 project.

#6 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

As much as I want to jump into this speculation and eventually join the RMC bandwagon, campaigning something for us in 2015/2016, we do need to realize that SFMM has not confirmed a thing about even working with RMC. Of course, given the common trend of the last 2-3 years, all signs lead to an Iron Horse, but this is a rather traditional woodie. By traditional, I mean classical. Texas Giant, Rattler, and Medusa all were older woodies but there have different style as opposed to Colossus. Let me put it this way, Rolling Thunder probably wouldn't have gotten an RMC facelift, or at least the idea never came up, and RT falls into a similar category of classic woodies, along with Colossus and SFNE's Cyclone, and even Georgia Cylone to keep it in the chain. Where the Colossus rumor came up from is clearly understandable, but for some reason it seems too much of a stretch to work

Hell I could very well be wrong, and to be honest I hope SFMM does if they choose to renovate it.
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#7 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

As much as I want to jump into this speculation and eventually join the RMC bandwagon, campaigning something for us in 2015/2016, we do need to realize that SFMM has not confirmed a thing about even working with RMC. Of course, given the common trend of the last 2-3 years, all signs lead to an Iron Horse, but this is a rather traditional woodie. By traditional, I mean classical. Texas Giant, Rattler, and Medusa all were older woodies but there have different style as opposed to Colossus. Let me put it this way, Rolling Thunder probably wouldn't have gotten an RMC facelift, or at least the idea never came up, and RT falls into a similar category of classic woodies, along with Colossus and SFNE's Cyclone, and even Georgia Cylone to keep it in the chain. Where the Colossus rumor came up from is clearly understandable, but for some reason it seems too much of a stretch to work
Hell I could very well be wrong, and to be honest I hope SFMM does if they choose to renovate it.

A couple weeks ago I felt exactly the same way. People were saying they would make the sides different or keep one side traditional, which I thought and still think is not going to happen. However, after seeing the banner I posted above and giving it some thought, I think it will be an RMC project, but not as drastic as some are saying. I'm not sure what they'll do, but I know that SFMM is not going to demolish Colossus simply because of the coaster count, the National Coaster Day thing, and that Colossus is in better shape (I've heard) and more popular/larger than RT was, making it a better candidate for a redo. Also, I see Cyclone at SFNE in the same category. The markings around the ride and all the other pieces of "evidence" make me think it is likely. Also, SF's success with RMC makes me think they are SF's new preferred manufacturer.

#8 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Luckily I get to experience Colossus in its original form. I'm going to California the week before the ride is suppose to close. I'll be sure to take pics of Colossus in its final days at Magic Mountain.

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#9 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

You can't make it out much, but Magic Mountain made a reference to National Lampoon's Vacation with the closing.

SFMM_ColossusFarewell_5.jpg

original.jpg

I've ridden 37 coasters. I really want more.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users