Advice - June Midweek Crowds?

11 replies to this topic

#1 verve1995

verve1995

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hello - Need some advice.

I live about 3 hours away, and wanted to take my kids to Great Adv soon before the NJ kids get out of school.   I will not be using the flash pass system and obviously want to avoid crowds as much as possible.

I can go basically any weekday (This week, next week.)   I undestand midweek before kids are out is my best bet, but one other concern I have is that perhaps there are a lot of class field trips to the park mid week.

Any advice? Thanks. Jon

#2 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

First and foremost, be sure to check the park's website to be sure there aren't any special events on the day you're planning.

Like you said, this is the prime time for school trips. Most schools will get to the park around opening and stay until 4-5pm. Thursdays and Fridays are the big days for school trips, so Monday-Wednesday will likely be your best bet. And even if you get unlucky and are at the park on a day with a bunch of school trips, it will still be less crowded than the average summer day so you'll still be able to get on every major coaster.

The other issue you run into is Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro. Until Zumanjaro opens, Kingda Ka will be closed during the week. Zumanjaro has begun testing but no opening day has been set (though it's been rumored that it may open next weekend, but again that's just a rumor). So you'll have to make a decision between skipping Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro in exchange for shorter lines, or waiting until they open (which a date still has not been set) and facing longer lines. If you'll be coming again this year it may not be an issue, but if this will be your only trip, it might be something to consider.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask anymore questions!

Posted Image

#3 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

While were on the topic, I'll be in Jersey the last weekend of June- the 28th and 29th. I pan on being at Gadv at opening Sunday as long as I want, but I understand it will probably be quite busy. I've never been to the park in early Summer- only Spring and a Monday in August over the past few years. My question is, do you think gadv could be busy enough Sunday the 29th that it is worth a quick 2-3 hour visit at opening Saturday as well to be sure to ride Ka, El Toro and Zumanjaro? Opening day I was able to get consecutive El Toro rides and consecutive Bizarro rides, plus GL and SUF before noon. Can I expect similar morning crowds during the summer- Ill be out of there before it gets too insane.!
Thanks

#4 jetsplumber

jetsplumber

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

just put in your budget Flash Pass,  and you dont need to worry about the lines.  in my opinion, if you are just visitng a park once,  flash pass is worth every penny and the way to go. 

#5 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

just put in your budget Flash Pass,  and you dont need to worry about the lines.  in my opinion, if you are just visitng a park once,  flash pass is worth every penny and the way to go.

I feel the same way, but I will likely be back in August. I visit a few times a year, I live just outside DC. I'm also holding back as I might visit Magic Mountain this July which will certainly warrant a Flash Pass, and possibly Cedar Point in August, which I'll get a Fast Lane.

#6 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

I have gone to the park on June weekdays a lot in past years and crowds can vary a lot. I have been there on days when everything is a walk on and days lines are 45 minutes for the major coasters.

Unlike most operating days, a bad forecast won't really keeps the crowds away since schools are likely to go even if rain is forecasted and the majority of crowds are school groups. 2 weeks ago there was a threat of rain that kept most regular visitors away (maybe a couple hundred cars in the lot) but there were still a lot of buses and lines were long until the schools started to leave.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#7 verve1995

verve1995

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for everyone's input.  Sounds like I'll venture out next Wed.  

I have not been to GA in prolly 20 years, so I want to make the most of it for my kids.

If I get there for 10:30, is there a ride to get to first assuming Ka is not open? 

Thanks again.

#8 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for everyone's input.  Sounds like I'll venture out next Wed.  

I have not been to GA in prolly 20 years, so I want to make the most of it for my kids.

If I get there for 10:30, is there a ride to get to first assuming Ka is not open? 

Thanks again.

Everyone has different opinions on this, but as for myself, I usually briskly walk to El Toro and get two rides no problem first thing. After around 12 the line will pick up a LOT. Afterwards, depending on your taste, you can go to Superman/Green Lantern not only because they are nearby, but generally have slower operations than the other coasters leading to horrible lines Summer afternoons. If these aren't high on your list (Green Lantern shouldn't be), then I would recommend Bizarro if it's open. If not, then you can either go back to Superman and Green Lantern, or you could do the Runaway Train then venture to the other side of the park via Sky Ride. At this point, I'd imagine the crowds will be picking up, but you'll probably want to ride Batman and Nitro in either order. It's all up to you from there.

Have a great time!

#9 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

For the first hour or two, the lines will most likely be really short.

sig_kaiser.png

#10 jetsplumber

jetsplumber

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

hit superman and green lantern first thing.   in my opinion, those lines can get very long and they move very slow.   they are the slowest operators/attendants  in the park.  

#11 verve1995

verve1995

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

Thanks to all that replied.

We did make it out to the park.  After a one hour wait for our first ride (Superman) it was smooth sailing all day.  My kids must have gone on 20 rides between 12 and 8 PM.   They were able to stay on Nitro for ride after ride right at the end.   I personally thought Nitro was one of the best coasters I have ever been on.   My kids liked Bizarro and Nitro the best.  

#12 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

hit superman and green lantern first thing.   in my opinion, those lines can get very long and they move very slow.   they are the slowest operators/attendants  in the park.  

Oh there are worse. lol

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users