10 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

I can't believe this happened, and so suddenly! I hope everybody on the train made it out okay. 

If you want to watch the live coverage, click below:

http://abcnews.go.com/Live/

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#2 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Today is not a good day for coasters. Someone died from being ejected from a Zac Spin in Spain and now this :(

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#3 RC98

RC98

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

Yeah I saw about the Ninja incident- everyone is ok from what I saw.

As for Spain, that's a sad incident, hopefully they can figure out the cause of that one so a similar incident can be prevented on the other zac spins.
My YouTube Account: http://www.youtube.c...rCoasterRider98
Total Coasters Ridden: 100

#4 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Glad to hear that nobody was seriously injured. It seems like a tree fell at some point during the day and rested on the tracks until a train went by and caused the first car to partially derail. Assuming that the track isn't damaged beyond repair, I think Ninja will be able to reopen, although it will only be running one train for a while. They had 2 trains running and 1 in parts in storage (iirc) so they'll probably repair this train and put it back on the track.

10447400_670182073076245_664719946632934

Photo from a news chopper showing that it was a bit more than a "branch" that fell onto the track

Agm5Cvn.jpg

Photo from someone stuck on the ride showing the damage done to the tree

Posted Image

#5 NitroKaMedusaMachine

NitroKaMedusaMachine

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

I don't know how I feel about this one. It's definitely not the ride being unsafe. That's the only thing I'm positive about. A tree falling is something that can't be predicted and prepared for. But I don't understand how nobody notices a giant tree laying across the track? And I have never worked as a ride op so I'm not sure what everything means, but doesn't visual scan mean the employees are looking for any possible danger around the ride? If so, then these employees didn't do their job properly. The most important thing is that all of the riders are ok and hopefully more information comes out soon so the cause of this situation becomes clearer. I also would like to give my condolences to the family of the teenager who died riding Inferno at Terra Mitica. Simply terrible news and a terrible day for amusement parks.

Green Lantern: a suitable replacement, but will never be the same. RIP GASM.

#6 Mkj3322

Mkj3322

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

I don't know how I feel about this one. It's definitely not the ride being unsafe. That's the only thing I'm positive about. A tree falling is something that can't be predicted and prepared for. But I don't understand how nobody notices a giant tree laying across the track? And I have never worked as a ride op so I'm not sure what everything means, but doesn't visual scan mean the employees are looking for any possible danger around the ride? If so, then these employees didn't do their job properly. The most important thing is that all of the riders are ok and hopefully more information comes out soon so the cause of this situation becomes clearer. I also would like to give my condolences to the family of the teenager who died riding Inferno at Terra Mitica. Simply terrible news and a terrible day for amusement parks.

Depending on the size of the tree and the time of the fall would determine why employees didn't see it. Since this incident happened late in the day, I would assume the ride had been making runs for hours. The ride also appears to be in a densely wooded area and the incident may have occurred far from the station. 

#7 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

http://www.latimes.c...0709-story.html
Not that surprising, Six Flags is already being sued.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#8 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

http://www.latimes.c...0709-story.html
Not that surprising, Six Flags is already being sued.

From another article

Novack questioned why Ninja, which opened more than 25 years ago, was built around the “wilderness,” referring to the trees that weave in and out of the approximately 2,700 foot long ride.

“They owe the highest degree of care to its passengers,” Novack said. “You don’t build it going through trees.”

I guess all coasters should be like Scream.

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

#9 jetsplumber

jetsplumber

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

I don't blame the guests for sueing the park.    they have to make the rides safe.  They need to keep the trees trimmed and remove unhealthy trees.  the power co's do the same thing.  they dont want to spend money trimming trees, and in a storm, the bad trees get knocked over on wires, and you are without power for hrs  or days.  

#10 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

http://www.signalscv...article/124298/
Ninja has reopened

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#11 jetsplumber

jetsplumber