5000Th Post Scream Machine Tribute / Photo Report

3 replies to this topic

#1 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

I knew I have been getting to my 5,000th post for a while and wasn't sure if I was going to just have it be a regular post or try something different. My final visit to the park when Scream Machine was open was June 29th, 2010 when we thought it would be closing on July 1st. I did write up a trip report but that was before I was posting photo trip reports and did take pictures and never posted them. Since it's been over 4 years, I decided I would post the photos I took of the ride. I also included the original trip report at the bottom of the post.

I joined this forum in 2005, back when I just starting out as a coaster enthusiast and was not too happy with Great Adventure at the time because of some horrible trips I had in the early 2000's. After reading trip reports from others and joining in the discussion and seeing that the park had improved, I decided to give the park another chance in 2007 and everything was so much better with nicer employees, better operations and a cleaner park that I decided to get a season pass for 2008 and have had a season pass every year since then. If it wasn't for this site, I probably would have been more hesitant to return to Great Adventure without knowing how much better it had gotten.

IMG_0347_zps8784a15b.jpg

The last time I would see this view when entering the parking lot

IMG_0345_zpsd57feb81.jpg

IMG_0344_zps37b5142b.jpg

IMG_0343_zpsab914e37.jpg

IMG_0338_zpsd43f15a7.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsaba0002e.jpg

IMG_0330_zps0b93cab3.jpg

IMG_0326_zps5075d91e.jpg

IMG_0323_zps7c71eab8.jpg

IMG_0321_zpsf4f38c85.jpg

IMG_0317_zps16a7a81e.jpg

IMG_0314_zpsa136c47e.jpg

IMG_0311_zps242afb30.jpg

IMG_0308_zpsd0793e29.jpg

I liked these signs in the queue that showed both current and past rides at the park

IMG_0307_zpscdebc238.jpg

IMG_0306_zps5bc224bb.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsa64bf2ff.jpg

IMG_0304_zps9654b411.jpg

IMG_0303_zps1b6c7d61.jpg

IMG_0302_zps12b28332.jpg

IMG_0298_zps3eac0654.jpg

Original Trip Report:

With Scream Machine said to close for good either tomorrow or Thursday, I wanted to get to the park before it closed to get my final rides in. I got to the park at 3:30 and saw the lot wasn't as crowded as I was expecting. With an 8:00 closing, I thought 4 1/2 hours should be more than enough time to get a lot of rides in.

It was a little strange pulling into the lot and seeing the ride running as always and knowing it would be the last time I would see it running as soon as I get into the parking lot.

I went there first since I didn't want to take any chances of it closing later. 2 trains running and it was a 2 train wait for the front row. It was running great as it has been all year, especially the red train. I moved to another row for a re-ride, walked around and got 2 more rides after that. Even in the 2nd to last car, it wasn't that rough compared to last year and the year before. They got rid of car 6 as being for Flashpass and let Flashpass users pick any row they want, sometimes they were allowed to get the front. If the ride wasn't closing soon, I could see this being a problem since the front row line would never move if Flashpass can get that row. Superman looked to have around a 40 minute wait.

I saw Kingda Ka had a station wait from the top of Scream Machine's lift hill so I went there next. 4 trains running and the right side of the station was packed, the left side not as much. It was around a 10 minute wait for a middle row.

Rolling Thunder had a line down the stairs and then around 15 feet past the stairs. Knowing how slow the dispatches are, it had to be around 30 minutes. Not worth it so I skipped it and went to Bizarro. 3 trains running with faster than normal dispatches thanks to a 3rd person checking restraints. It was just over 10 minutes for the last row. The sound was not working at all and the mist at the shields at the bottom of the first drop was not turned on. I hope the problem with the sound isn't anything major since after they went to all that trouble to get new trains with speakers, it's a shame to not have it working.

Runaway Mine Train had 2 trains running, 2 train wait. Now instead of Flashpass merging at the stairs which seemed stupid because the line very rarely gets that long (twice in close to 40 trips to the park have I seen the line to the bottom of the stairs) they had the middle row of the 3rd car chained off for Flashpass.

The Log Flume had a huge line and I went back to Scream Machine. This time I got the white train which wasn't as smooth as the red train but not too bad. I walked around again and got the red train. It was a little after 6:00 at this point and I went to the other side of the park.

Skull Mountain was a 2 train wait for the last row. The 5th car is no longer closed off for Flashpass users and I am guessing it is like Scream Machine where Flashpass can choose any row. Nitro's line was just past the 30 minute sign and was a little over 10 minutes with 3 trains running. I walked around for a 2nd ride with a 5 minute wait. Batman's line was just out of the station and was around 10 minutes. They really need some fans in the tunnel with the stairs since it was horrible standing in that part of the line even though I was only in the tunnel for less than 2 minutes. I got a seat on the right side of the train and forgot how intense the zero g roll was sitting on that side of the train.

I decided to finish the trip back at Scream Machine. Just the red train was running and it was a 1 train wait for the 2nd car. I decided to walk around and wait 2 trains for the front row and that would be my final ride. It was hard to think that it was my last time going up the lift hill, down the drop, through the 3 loops, batwing and double corkscrew. As much as I am looking forward to Chang, I am really going to miss the ride. I am just glad I was able to get some final rides in before the ride closed.

Ride Count:
Scream Machine, 8x (65 total rides since 2007 when I first rode the coaster)
Nitro, 2x
Batman, 1x
Kingda Ka, 1x
Runaway Mine Train, 2x
Bizarro, 1x
Skull Mountain, 1x

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#2 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Grats on 5k! Nice tr, talk about a blast from the past. I still pull into the parking lot some days and expect to see Gasm there. I'm still not even sure which coaster I prefer. Green Lantern is the more intense ride but at least with Gasm it was possible to ride it more than one or two times without your body being in complete pain from being thrown around while standing up. I always enjoy reading the older trip reports to see how the park has changed through the years.

Posted Image

#3 joeyc98

joeyc98

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Wow hard to believe its going to be 5 years next year. I'm pretty jealous that you got 65 total rides on GASM. The year it closed was the year i had just started to enjoy rollercoasters and by the time it closed I had ridden it only twice.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 Geek

#4 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

That's good you at least got to ride it twice rather than miss it completely.

Grats on 5k! Nice tr, talk about a blast from the past. I still pull into the parking lot some days and expect to see Gasm there. I'm still not even sure which coaster I prefer. Green Lantern is the more intense ride but at least with Gasm it was possible to ride it more than one or two times without your body being in complete pain from being thrown around while standing up. I always enjoy reading the older trip reports to see how the park has changed through the years.

Thanks, I agree about Scream Machine being possible to ride more than a few times. I rarely go to Green Lantern more than once per trip and sometimes skip it entirely.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users