129 replies to this topic

#61 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I doubt that B&M launched wingrider rumor. Up until Holiday World's announcement, nobody even knew it was possible. I'll chalk that one up to wishful thinking.

According to the rumor, one line of thought may be to somehow reuse the old Chiller station structure for the new coaster (it's wide enough, as it did used to hold two side-by-side launched coasters) and maybe even have the coaster launch out and through the old Observatory structure, which is also still standing, with the rest of the layout running somewhere between here and the water tower area and back."

This rumor has been around for a while, though, and it makes sense. Although they now have the Fright Fest trail going through Chiller's area (which I'm sure can easily be moved), there's a ton of empty space over there. I doubt they'd tear down any major buildings or any of the picnic area because they still get regular use, but Lakefront/Movietown/Old Country could definitely use a new major ride because that side of the park is definitely lacking.

^ Chiller is definitely missed but I doubt we'll ever see a dual launch coaster again unless it's an Intamin/Mack LSM coaster similar to Maverick.

Posted Image

#62 NitroKaMedusaMachine

NitroKaMedusaMachine

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, I doubt that B&M launched wingrider rumor. Up until Holiday World's announcement, nobody even knew it was possible. I'll chalk that one up to wishful thinking.

According to the rumor, one line of thought may be to somehow reuse the old Chiller station structure for the new coaster (it's wide enough, as it did used to hold two side-by-side launched coasters) and maybe even have the coaster launch out and through the old Observatory structure, which is also still standing, with the rest of the layout running somewhere between here and the water tower area and back."

This rumor has been around for a while, though, and it makes sense. Although they now have the Fright Fest trail going through Chiller's area (which I'm sure can easily be moved), there's a ton of empty space over there. I doubt they'd tear down any major buildings or any of the picnic area because they still get regular use, but Lakefront/Movietown/Old Country could definitely use a new major ride because that side of the park is definitely lacking.

^ Chiller is definitely missed but I doubt we'll ever see a dual launch coaster again unless it's an Intamin/Mack LSM coaster similar to Maverick.

I personally would rather a Maverick style roller coaster designed by Intamin instead of a launched B&M Wing Rider. The Wing Rider would be our 6th Beemer and as much as I love the company, the park needs some diversity. To add to that, as has been pointed out before in these forums, we don't have a singe inversion not built by B&M. When I went to Cedar Point last summer, the ride that completely blew me away was Maverick. It gave a wild ride that is only surpassed by El Toro. If GaDv used one side of Chiller's station as the loading platform and the other side for the launch, it would make for an incredible ride.
Green Lantern: a suitable replacement, but will never be the same. RIP GASM.

#63 YoungPup

YoungPup

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

Why not another dual launch out of chillers station. The park knows that chiller is missed. Batman vs. Superman?

A launched wing coaster could still be Batman vs Superman. One side could be Batman and the other would be Superman.

#64 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

^^ Maverick is still my #2 steel and I'd love to see something like it in the park. The quick pace, tight transitions, launches, and inversions make it great. I'd also be interested to see what Mack could do. Helix is one of my top bucket list coasters and they're poised to start competing with B&M and Intamin for the top of the market.

^ Now that you mention it and with Twisted Colossus being a thing, I can actually see that being a possibility... but then we'd have 3 Batman coasters and 2 Superman coasters in the same park, lol. And all 3 of the Batman coasters would be next door neighbors. I actually want this to happen now.

Posted Image

#65 YoungPup

YoungPup

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:50 PM

I really hope we don't get one, it doesn't look fun. It looks like you'd come off with a neck-ache

#66 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

^I get really scared when other Six Flags adds low capacity rides like that because I know that it would be a thousand times worse at Great Adventure.  We can't have a ride like that without a 5 hour line.  

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#67 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:24 AM

Coming out of hibernation so give me a second on this right now.  Here are my long points regarding everything I have missed:

- If the Old Country rehab is true, that means the park is at least making some sort of move to open the area.  I emphasize open, because this could very well mean that they have clear enough of the area to make it look attractive for visitors to walk by.  Musik Express is apparently gone, and while my childhood may have died saying that, it is good to see that the park is at least not trying to fix the unfixable.  The whole Autobahn being "bright and shiny" to me just sounds like they are moving towards hopefully opening them in the near future.

- If the park plans to open Old Country, I would imagine that it won't be until next year or perhaps for Fright Fest, for which it would be only for controlling crowd flow.  I do not seem much of a reason to open the pathway that connects the two areas as of right now, especially gathering that the area probably isn't completely fixed.  

-If the park opens Old Country next year, there are two reasonable options for the area.  #1, the park places a new coaster using Chiller's old spot.  #2, renovating the entire area with flats.  #1 is what everyone wants, but sadly #2 is what the parks needs to do for that area.  Listen, after the marketing BS move the park has pulled with El Diablo, I am strongly for adding a coaster in 2016.  But opening Old Country solely for the reason to help open space for the new coaster is not beneficial.  If anything, adding 2-3 flats (if you want to include the bumper cars, which would be redundant with the addition of Fenders Benders recently) plus a food stand, a bathroom, and perhaps a little retheme would serve as the stepping stone to a coaster in that same spot in 2017.  It's not favorable, but the patience would honestly be far more beneficial.

- Disregarding whether or not Old Country gets fully (or partly) renovated, if the park were to open a coaster in Chiller's spot, whether next year or any year, it should not be any B&M.  Holiday World pulled the rabbit out of the hat with Thunderbird and, as common thought would go, the flood gates would coincidently open.  Sure, giving one of the chain's flagship parks a huge addition like a B&M Launching Winger would really bring in the crowds, but like every other person here that has beaten the dead horse, we don't need B&M.  I could play devil's advocate and say that we don't have a winger or a launcher and kill two birds with one stone, but I feel that argument is for another time in the future.  

- In a realistic perspective, if a coaster goes in Chiller's spot, it will be a small capacity coaster.  I don't know the park's restrictions on building coasters over walkways and what not, but I'm not fully convinced the park can fit a Winger/Woodie/Hyper/Giga/pretty much any true full circuit coaster in that spot.  That leaves the park with basically one company, Premier.  Whether it is a custom like Full Throttle or a short circuit launcher like Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFDK, it just seems the most logical for that position.  I'd prefer the first before the latter, but I hate to be this guy, but I think the small capacity coaster plague will hit the park if they put a coaster there.  I hope to God I'm proven wrong and a GCI or an build-from-the-ground Iron Horse gets in that spot.  

-If a coaster goes into Movietown, I feel the default theme would be Superman vs. Batman, which I could see easily getting a themed ride.  I'd rather see that get themed elsewhere, whether another park or perhaps as a dark ride (pointing straight at the old simulator building).  A possible idea would be Wonder Woman; Warner Bros. confirmed the film for 2017, if the coasters delays until then.  The other long shot here is Suicide Squad.  I mean, it would be pretty sweet, but I don't know how well it will go publicly as a themed ride with the word "suicide" on it.

palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#68 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

^I get really scared when other Six Flags adds low capacity rides like that because I know that it would be a thousand times worse at Great Adventure.  We can't have a ride like that without a 5 hour line.  

I agree, capacity will be horrible. S&S says 960 riders an hour which seems very unlikely. That would mean with a dispatch every 30 seconds with completely full cars and I don't see that happening at any park. Even if they get a dispatch a minute, that's only 480 riders an hour and even less when you factor in empty seats unless they add in a single rider line. They would also probably have to make it Platinum Flashpass only like newer low capacity rides added to other SF parks (both Goliath at SFNE and Dare Devil Dive at SFOG when they first opened).

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#69 YoungPup

YoungPup

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:27 AM

Here's what I think Six Flags should get for 2016: Full Throttle clone, maybe put it on the boardwalk(?) and name it Flash, or The Flash. I think we really need a flash ride, and I think SF really messed up by not naming Kingda Ka, (The) Flash. The car could be all red, and have his symbol on the front of it, while the sides have the lightening bolts.

#70 KK456

KK456

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

^By choosing Kingda Ka as the name, we got one of the best, if not the best themed areas in any Six Flags park. We should have a Flash ride though, it fits our whole "superhero theme"

#71 YoungPup

YoungPup

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

^By choosing Kingda Ka as the name, we got one of the best, if not the best themed areas in any Six Flags park. We should have a Flash ride though, it fits our whole "superhero theme"

Very true. I could see Six Flags saying "Well, we gave Flash the Flash Pass, isn't that good enough?" lol.

#72 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

I'm almost certain we'll never see a Flash themed ride for the very reason of avoiding confusion between the ride the The Flash Pass.

sig_kaiser.png

#73 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

Why not another dual launch out of chillers station. The park knows that chiller is missed. Batman vs. Superman?

A launched wing coaster could still be Batman vs Superman. One side could be Batman and the other would be Superman.

Don't we have enough Batman/Superman rides?

Either we'll get the new Justice League dark ride in the old simulator building or a new coaster, though I wouldn't hold my breath on the new coaster.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#74 in4nolink

in4nolink

el force

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

I truly think that Great Adventure should add The Justice League. The park has a perfect location with the old simulator building and room around it to expand it. The park has plenty of batman and superman rides so hopefully this would be the last edition of it. Since it has been a few years, I would rather wait just to have a Major, One of a kind, record breaking coaster.... But I'll try not to hold my breath

#75 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

How many more records can be broken though? When I went on the Smiler at Alton Towers (I went to England 2 months ago), 14 inversions was a lot to go through. Even I think we're around the speed plateau.

I just want something that's fun to ride. Down at BGW, Tempesto was actually pretty fun, same with Volcano at King's Dominion. They're not huge, but I enjoyed them just as well.

Though Intimidator was pretty boss, however I still prefer floater airtime on B&M hypers.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users