Photo

El Diablo(Formerly Looping Dragon) Coming 2015!

69 replies to this topic

#16 Zack

Zack

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

Alright, so one whole year after the removal of the park's beloved wooden coaster Rolling Thunder and our payoff is... a carnival ride that seems more like a spiritual successor to Looping Starship than a real roller coaster?

Not to mention, Six Flags' announcements for Magic Mountain and New England just pour more salt into the wound since they technically get to still keep their old wooden coasters and we were just left with diddly squat. I've also heard rumors before the announcement that we were also having our own Batman: The Ride run backwards next year, but I guess it's just too good to be true

The only thing that would leave me even more disappointed is, like many of you brought up, if they can't get this thing open and running by opening day. If the folks running the park 14 years ago could get a hyper coaster like Nitro up by early April, there should be no excuse why this little thing shouldn't be.

#17 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

^ To be fair though, Rolling Thunder wasn't removed so that another ride could be put in its place. It had been neglected for years (something you can't blame on the current management) to the point that keeping it open would have been immensely costly. Because of its low ridership, it just simply wasn't worth it. As much as I enjoyed Rolling Thunder (it had its good days), its time was up and it was removed in a similar fashion to Big Bad Wolf (it reached the end of its maintenance life), leaving space for future developments.

And I believe there's still a chance for us to get Batman backwards. Other parks didn't have their announcements until later in the year and at this point no other park has claimed that it will be hosting it for 2015. Hopefully Great Adventure will make that announcement soon to save face on this whole "roller coaster" fiasco.

While I think it's great that we're getting another "inbetween" ride that people shorter than 54" can ride, I don't think this is the right way to go about it, and by way, I mean one at a time. This is going to be a low capacity ride that will be plagued with long lines because people are going to think it's a roller coaster. We're a big park and we deserved to get at least two new flat rides (this is a flat ride), like SFOG is getting with their Super Loop.

QFT. This is one of the things that has always bugged me about Great Adventure since my first years as a passholder. I can (and often do) go to parks like Moreys and Knoebels and have a great day. They only have two or three "big" rides but they're surrounded by a magnitude of different things to do. I'll happily go from flat to flat, waiting one or two cycles before getting on. Meanwhile at Great Adventure, you're pretty much forced to wait in line for big ticket attractions. You can go from coaster to coaster but that's about it - you're only riding coasters. If you do decide to go on one of the flats, you're going to be waiting probably 25 minutes to get on.

I will admit that the park has done a great job these past few seasons addressing this issue with Adventure Alley, Zumanjaro, and the Safari, but this year seems like a massive step in the opposite direction. Adding only one ride, which will most likely be plagued with capacity issues and a short cycle, all the while advertising it high and low as the park's 13th roller coaster? Once the public sees what this new "roller coaster" is, they'll be just as disappointed as they were when they got off The Dark Knight and realized it wasn't the thrill ride that it was advertised as. To this day people still avoid Dark Knight because of that. I don't mind Looping Dragon itself, but the way they're marketing it is just going to do more harm than good.

Couldn't we have at least gotten a Tilt a Whirl like SFOG? It's a simple and very cheap flat (and honestly it's one of my favorites) but it would've helped fill in the gaps in the park. The 1999 War on Lines was good in theory but ultimately was just too much to handle at once. I'd love to see 2-3 small flats in low key years such as 2015, even if they're simple flats like a Tilt a Whirl or Gravitron just because they'd even the park out.

Posted Image

#18 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

A Tilt A Whirl would be good and like you said they are very cheap. It could be added for next to nothing (compared to the cost of most rides). There's one listed here for under $30,000

http://www.rides4u.c...rpage=10&page=1

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#19 YoungPup

YoungPup

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

I know me and Mangar have had our differences but he proves a valid point; nothing is lost. Yeah I know we are getting a carnival ride, but I rather get a carnival flat to add to out depleted arsenal over nothing at all. I wouldn't call it progress as a means of pushing the park to the top, but I will agree with you that the addition is beneficial and nothing is lost in the process.

Palmer, space is lost. And we will be laughed at, considering Coaster Con is going to be hosted at our park.

Also, this loop costs at least $139K as seen here http://www.rides4u.com/view/2827 Which could have been used to fix up the park.

#20 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

In perhaps the most disappointing announcement of the 2015 season, four Six Flags parks are to install pendulum-style thrill rides typically associated with traveling carnivals and county fairs. Adding insult to injury, Six Flags is intentionally misrepresenting these rides as roller coasters.  -LA Times

Source: http://www.latimes.c...0828-story.html

I'm more upset that they are calling it a roller coaster over the fact that we are actually getting a Super Loop ride as a major new attraction.  The LA Times did the right thing and reported the truth. Go through the posts on Six Flags Great Adventure's Facebook page and read the comments.  People are not stupid, they KNOW it is not a roller coaster.  

I feel bad for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom because they are getting a Super Loop ride when they actually have a REAL roller coaster that deserves the name Super Loop: 

518080ec734e3.jpg

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#21 YoungPup

YoungPup

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

Please read and sign my petition: goo.gl/V2Xvvv It's regarding the Looping Dragon (obviously) If you do decide to sign it. Please share it on Facebook and Twitter :)

#22 RC98

RC98

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

After thinking about it a bit it's not really Looping Dragon itself that I hate it's the fact that they're calling it a coaster and it's the only thing we're getting. I'd really like to see them simply expand their order for our park, Larson also makes flying scooters and new tilt a whirls. A package of 3 new rides including Looping Dragon would be much better.

If that's not possible then I'd have to agree with your petition I'd rather some park upgrades over ONE carnival flat.
My YouTube Account: http://www.youtube.c...rCoasterRider98
Total Coasters Ridden: 100

#23 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

Keep in mind we're also getting 2 new indoor trails. It's not just this one ride.

I've also heard rumors before the announcement that we were also having our own Batman: The Ride run backwards next year, but I guess it's just too good to be true

The only thing that would leave me even more disappointed is, like many of you brought up, if they can't get this thing open and running by opening day.

1) Hold your horses!

2) Everyone needs to stop expecting things open for opening day! The news release states they're planning a "Late Spring" opening. We all know it's a big Marketing scam to open new rides so late, so let's just stop acting unexpected when they're not open early. Sure, they definitely should be, but this is the truth of what's happening.

Also, this loop costs at least $139K as seen here http://www.rides4u.com/view/2827 Which could have been used to fix up the park.

That's the smaller version. We're getting the Giant Loop, which is 22m tall. I'm pretty sure our version is permanent and not trailer mounted like the one in that link.
In addition, we're getting the ride new. I think it could easily be costing over $500k considering the permanent installation. They're not just rolling up a used trailer and popping one up.

sig_kaiser.png

#24 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Keep in mind we're also getting 2 new indoor trails. It's not just this one ride.

I've also heard rumors before the announcement that we were also having our own Batman: The Ride run backwards next year, but I guess it's just too good to be true

The only thing that would leave me even more disappointed is, like many of you brought up, if they can't get this thing open and running by opening day.

ZOMG NO WAY!!!! 2 TRAILS THAT WE GET TO EXPERIENCE FOR A WHOLE 1 AND HALF MONTHS!?!?1?  If you honestly think that a single super loop ride, permanent or not, new or not, is a good new attraction, you are crazy.  

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#25 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

That's the smaller version. We're getting the Giant Loop, which is 22m tall. I'm pretty sure our version is permanent and not trailer mounted like the one in that link.
In addition, we're getting the ride new. I think it could easily be costing over $500k considering the permanent installation. They're not just rolling up a used trailer and popping one up.

Yeah, it's probably going to be like Brain Drain at Elitch Gardens

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

#26 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

If my guess is correct, the reason that Namtab hasn't been announced is that the park hasn't gotten the A-OK from NJ State yet to run Batman backwards. 

I guess that they want to avoid another Zumanjaro fiasco.

I've ridden 37 coasters. I really want more.

#27 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

ZOMG NO WAY!!!! 2 TRAILS THAT WE GET TO EXPERIENCE FOR A WHOLE 1 AND HALF MONTHS!?!?1?  If you honestly think that a single super loop ride, permanent or not, new or not, is a good new attraction, you are crazy.  

I think it's lacking, we should have at least gotten 2 more flats as well.

I'm not really upset about getting a super loop. I'm infuriated with the marketing and upset with the lack of other additions.

sig_kaiser.png

#28 MisterDan

MisterDan

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

At the end of the day, it is good we are getting another flat which is much needed but this beef'd up version of a carnival ride is not the best choice. ESPECIALLY because they are marketing it as a coaster! Six Flags bought 4 of these for the 2015 season so i'm sure they got a good deal on them! They are def marketing this as a coaster to keep their coaster count the same as Hershey for 2015 since they are getting the indoor spinner. Shame. Shame. Shame. It kills me to see the park managed like this. 

#29 CycloneRacer

CycloneRacer

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:36 AM

I just signed the petition: "Six Flags Great Adventure: Don't give us Looping Dragon." Hopefully this will send a message.

#30 CycloneRacer

CycloneRacer

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

I think it's lacking, we should have at least gotten 2 more flats as well.
I'm not really upset about getting a super loop. I'm infuriated with the marketing and upset with the lack of other additions.

I would of been okay with a flying scooter and tilt-a-whirl.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users