#1 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

From Screamscape:

http://screamscape.c...rdens_tampa.htm

First they closed the Tiger side and now the Lion side will be closing early next year. Screamscape is reporting it is a budget cut which is a shame considering how much they charge to get into the park and have already closed other attractions in the park for budget reasons like the Egypt walkthrough near Montu. Screamscape is also reporting it will be SBNO rather than demolished.

I was not a fan of Gwazi at all and have it ranked as the worst wooden coaster I have ridden even after Hercules but would have liked to have seen it continue to operate if they aren't going to remove it since it would help keep lines shorter for the other rides.

I was looking forward to trying Gwazi and was very disappointed in how rough the entire coaster was so I won't miss it. Now if they were to remove Scorpion...

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#2 NitroKaMedusaMachine

NitroKaMedusaMachine

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:21 AM

I'm kinda disappointed that I never got to ride this. I have a soft spot for rough wooden coasters (I insisted on riding Mean Streak when I went to Cedar Point this summer despite it's reputation). I wish I could afford to travel more so I can get on these rides before they close. I missed out on Gwazi along with Colossus in it's original form, Big Bad Wolf, and Disaster Transport.

Green Lantern: a suitable replacement, but will never be the same. RIP GASM.

#3 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:01 AM

Damn, not gonna get my last ride in. I'm going in early March. :(

Gwazi is an unfortunate case of letting a ride go. A good dueling ride(though, the dueling wasn't always perfect and if you weren't exactly timed up, you barely see the other train), which after years of neglect due to budget cuts, became unbearable. The fact that it ran PTC trains up until recently didn't help either. It's not a train for these types of woodies. It's unfortunate that the millenium flyers didn't come out sooner, as a lot of the earlier GCIs would be smoother(maybe not by a whole lot but noticeably enough). It kills the track and even after you switch trains, it barely helps because it's already so beat up. It takes millions in addition to the train switch to make it smoother. /rant

Sad to see it go, and the fact that it'll be SBNO is disappointing. Oh well, can't wait to see what'll be taking that over that footprint in the future!
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

2014 SKYWAY Team Member- "Welcome to the Skyway, where you will traverse along many acres of beautiful land!"

2015 EL DIABLO Unit Supervisor- "The flames of the river shall soon come upon you here with El Diablo"

2016 Safari Off-Road Adventure/The JOKER Unit Supervisor- "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

#4 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

^ Landscaping! (and by landscaping, I mean an unannounced launched coaster with awful capacity!)

A shame to see Gwazi go, but I'm not really surprised. From everything I've read it seems like its been in awful shape for years and the park just never cared enough to put in the required amount of work (and money) needed to keep it running well. Having never been to BGT, I can't imagine Gwazi was too popular so unfortunately the decision makes sense. But man, that thing's going to be an eyesore.

Posted Image

#5 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

And the cutbacks continue, Rhino Rally is closed for good. Sure it wasn't as good as the safari at Great Adventure or Kilimanjaro Safari but it was still fun and a good family ride to help balance out the ride collection in the park.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#6 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:28 PM

Old thread, but I didn't think this was worth making a new one over.

I just got back from Busch Gardens. (Missed the entire Blizzard) and the closing of Gwazi and other rides is really noticeable. As my wife put it "We did the entire park in like an hour" in terms of rides. She wasn't wrong really. It was close to two hours, but that was with a TON of stopping for the animal exhibits and such. It's still a fun park, beautiful, and Six Flags could learn a LOT from Busch Gardens in every area aside from rides. IE: Food, Drinks, Cleanliness, Theming, etc... - But damn was the lack of rides noticeable.

In fairness: Montu was closed for "Maintenance" It's not set to reopen until sometime in February. It looks like that whole area is closed due to the construction of Cobra's Curse... However, that's just my observation. (Side Note: The tattered remains of Gwazi still stand)

Mangar
Lucid Vision

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users