Photo
- - - - -

Great Adventure Reached Its Peak In The Year 1999.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Yvon_Of_The_Yukon

Yvon_Of_The_Yukon

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

Everything began to go downhill after that, particularly post-2001.

Truth.

#2 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

So, you're saying the year they added more flat rides then they could staff was the epitome of the park's life, and the original addition of Golden Kingdom was part of it's "decline"?

...If you say so...

KC

ChillerBrokenWingsKCRIPSig.png
"I remember the chill that came over, as everything I loved went falling...
Time shows us that all that ever mattered, all that ever matters, leaves us in the cold..."

Six Flags Great Adventure 2006 RCT2 Re-Creation: 76%
--Dead Man's Party '06 will never be topped...but '09 came damn close!--

#3 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

For me the decline was 2006 to 2010 (except for El Toro opening which was credited to Premier)

Here is why I say that

2006, gate price goes from $47.99 to $59.99, parking increase to $15, safari no longer included in admission, no re entry policy almost happened until they got complaints.

2007, removal of Poland Springs Plunge

2008, removal of Chiller, Movie Town Water Effect, Stuntman's Free Fall, Space Shuttle, Spinmesiter. Locker policy added.

2009, Tango closed, Houdini closed (might have been 2008?), stage coach ride closed. No new rides except wasting money on the Bizarro re-theme. 

2010, Simulator building closed, Balin's Jungeland closed

Platinum Flash Pass and charging for Fright Fest attractions also both were added sometime in those years.

After that I feel like things have rebounded with the SBNO rides reopened and additions for thrill seekers and families.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#4 Yvon_Of_The_Yukon

Yvon_Of_The_Yukon

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

Yoshi, let's not also forget the Great American Scream Machine, one of the most iconic roller coasters of the park. You can say anything you want about the coaster's roughness (as if the "Green Lantern" is any better), but the skyline has felt empty ever since its removal. Much has already been said about this park's relentless tearing of classic rides left and right in the last 15 years or so, so I won't be adding anything novel in that department.

KillerChiller, If anyone frequented the park in the years 1999-2000, they'll remember that feeling of "there are so many rides in this park, nestled in every which corner, that I can't possibly get to them all in one visit!" Great Adventure also held the Guinness World Record for most amusement rides in the world sometime around then. It doesn't matter if many of them had limited operation times, just knowing that "maybe on my next visit, I'll get to ride Jumpin' Jack Flash/Time Warp/etc" or "maybe it'll open later in the day" did it for me.

Yoshi, I also agree with you that the park has somewhat rebounded in the last couple of years. I really welcomed El Diablo as a "sort of" spiritual successor (though the experience is not completely comparable) to the Looping Starship, and also as yet another flat ride to "fill in the void." I am not sure why many fans were disappointed by it.

#5 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:06 AM

KillerChiller, If anyone frequented the park in the years 1999-2000, they'll remember that feeling of "there are so many rides in this park, nestled in every which corner, that I can't possibly get to them all in one visit!" Great Adventure also held the Guinness World Record for most amusement rides in the world sometime around then. It doesn't matter if many of them had limited operation times, just knowing that "maybe on my next visit, I'll get to ride Jumpin' Jack Flash/Time Warp/etc" or "maybe it'll open later in the day" did it for me.

Well okay, that's fine, but it certainly doesn't make your topic starting post truth or fact, just opinion. All I know is that your average guest was short sighted as hell when I worked there from 2005-2007. So I have a hard time believing that seeing flats closed made the majority think "maybe next time I'll ride it", because for the casual visitor, they may only go once, maybe twice a year. Kudos to you though that you remained optimistic about ride closures. I wish more guests were like that, rather than try to tell me my ride Chiller was "always closed / broken", when I had just cycled the thing not 15 minutes prior before a trouble light forced us to have maintenance come up to basically just clear the fault and give us the okay to keep running it (something that was fairly common with Chiller).

I'm with Yoshi though. To me, the beginning of the downward spiral started in 2006. Red Zone's intentions were good, but they went about them horribly. It's a shame, because I felt that 2006 as a whole was a phenomenal year from a "foundation year" standpoint. (I probably credit most of this to Premier, but Red Zone did make it an active priority to make sure we had a plethora of quality entertainment offerings, the likes of which we have yet to see at the park since. This isn't to say Red Zone didn't make a LOT of mistakes out the gate, but they thought they could be Regional Disney, and the guests made sure to knock that out of Shapiro's head real quick.) The problem was that 2006 was supposed to be the upstart/foundation year to better things, and it eventually became the pinnacle of Red Zone's run with the parks.

KC

Time shows us that all that ever mattered, all that ever matters, leaves us in the cold..."

#6 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

Yoshi, let's not also forget the Great American Scream Machine, one of the most iconic roller coasters of the park. You can say anything you want about the coaster's roughness (as if the "Green Lantern" is any better), but the skyline has felt empty ever since its removal. Much has already been said about this park's relentless tearing of classic rides left and right in the last 15 years or so, so I won't be adding anything novel in that department.

Yoshi, I also agree with you that the park has somewhat rebounded in the last couple of years. I really welcomed El Diablo as a "sort of" spiritual successor (though the experience is not completely comparable) to the Looping Starship, and also as yet another flat ride to "fill in the void." I am not sure why many fans were disappointed by it.

Yeah Scream Machine was a huge loss. I never found it that rough and in 2010 the red train seemed to be much smoother than normal. I like Green Lantern but would have liked to have seen it built elsewhere and not causing a coaster to be removed.

Well okay, that's fine, but it certainly doesn't make your topic starting post truth or fact, just opinion. All I know is that your average guest was short sighted as hell when I worked there from 2005-2007. So I have a hard time believing that seeing flats closed made the majority think "maybe next time I'll ride it", because for the casual visitor, they may only go once, maybe twice a year. Kudos to you though that you remained optimistic about ride closures. I wish more guests were like that, rather than try to tell me my ride Chiller was "always closed / broken", when I had just cycled the thing not 15 minutes prior before a trouble light forced us to have maintenance come up to basically just clear the fault and give us the okay to keep running it (something that was fairly common with Chiller).

I'm with Yoshi though. To me, the beginning of the downward spiral started in 2006. Red Zone's intentions were good, but they went about them horribly. It's a shame, because I felt that 2006 as a whole was a phenomenal year from a "foundation year" standpoint. (I probably credit most of this to Premier, but Red Zone did make it an active priority to make sure we had a plethora of quality entertainment offerings, the likes of which we have yet to see at the park since. This isn't to say Red Zone didn't make a LOT of mistakes out the gate, but they thought they could be Regional Disney, and the guests made sure to knock that out of Shapiro's head real quick.) The problem was that 2006 was supposed to be the upstart/foundation year to better things, and it eventually became the pinnacle of Red Zone's run with the parks.

KC

It would have been interesting to see what happened if Red Zone wasn't in control. I know Premier couldn't have continued spending the way they did but it would have been nice to see if they would have continued to upgrade the park after the Golden Kingdom and Plaza Del Caranval.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#7 NitroKaMedusaMachine

NitroKaMedusaMachine

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:43 AM

I can't stress enough how brutal the loss of Great American Scream Machine was. Ditto Rolling Thunder. Those two roller coasters meant so much to the park and their removal was essentially the company putting the park's history through a meat grinder. GASM and RT were such a pivotal and iconic part of the park's past and they were just scrapped like they were worthless. Watching them get demolished was like watching part of my childhood die. Scream Machine's removal was especially painful for me because it was the first roller coaster that I went on in the park and I never went to the park for one last ride. I still regret not doing so to this day. It's crazy to think that besides Runaway Mine Train, our oldest roller coaster is only 22 years old.
Green Lantern: a suitable replacement, but will never be the same. RIP GASM.

#8 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

It would have been interesting to see what happened if Red Zone wasn't in control. I know Premier couldn't have continued spending the way they did but it would have been nice to see if they would have continued to upgrade the park after the Golden Kingdom and Plaza Del Caranval.

In Premier's perfect world, they wanted us to be the crown jewel of the chain, hands down. They were essentially okay with forsaking all of the other parks to make sure we were the top dog. I think the 2007 plan for the themed hotel in the Kingda Ka parking lot probably would've happened, and I think we would've seen upgrades to other areas, like Movietown seeing a full themed revitalization as Gotham City in the years that followed. From what I remember from an interview, GK and PdC were to set the bar for what they intended to do with every section of the park over the coming years. I would love to see what our park would've looked like if Premier was able to just keep pumping money into GADV over the past ten years. If only...

KC

#9 ericthewanderer

ericthewanderer

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:39 AM

The Coaster Celebration definitely peaked in 1999:attendance was almost 700-I don't think Riding Of The Bull has come close

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users