• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

Ride: Hydra: The Revenge
Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard
Type: Floorless Coaster
Park: Dorney Park - Allentown, Pa

I love this ride. A real good floorless coaster.
Posted Image

#2 surge

surge

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

I don't like hydra at all. I thaught the tighter inversions (smaller) would feel more powerfull. I was wrong. The whole ride feels rushed and choppy. The roll before the lift was a good idea, but it really does nothing. Compared to medusa, the ride has nothing. Medusa and kraken are much better floorless coasters. I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

#3 UrsaMajor

UrsaMajor

How's My Posting? Call 1-800-POST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

Hydra: The Revenge is quite a difficult ride to review. First off, let me say that Hydra was a good addition for Dorney because it is a better ride then Hercules.

Hydra's station is amazing, as are the trains. The belonging storage is the best I've ever seen. The track is bright, vibrant, and attractive. Also, the jojo roll is absolutely unbelievable. It really gives some out-of-this-world hangtime. After that, the ride sort of goes downhill. The drop is forceful, in the back, but the rest of the ride lacks the punch to truly make it a stand-out ride. While any B&M Floorless is a joy to ride, Hydra has nothing on Medusa.

Overall, I give Hydra a 6.7/10. Without the jojo I would give it a 5.7.
Posted Image

Posted Image<-Currently 80
Thanks to SB for the set

#4 Chiller

Chiller

Bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

I must be the only one who thinks Hydra is better than Medusa.

-The JoJo is awesome, and is much better toward the front. (rode front and back)
-First drop is wicked and has ejector air in the back
-The first pseudo inversion (I don't count it) is actually awesome. Better than Medusa's dive loop. You get
some sort of feeling that is hard to describe. it's like airtime from being whipped around that tight element.
-Zero G Roll was great, although Medusa's was better. This is the only advantage Medusa has over Hydra.
-Corkscrew was OK, no different from any other corkscrew
-Cobra Roll was also just OK, I liked it better than Medusa's simply because it is so much smoother through that part.
-S turn doesnt provide any airtime, but sets you up for the massive ejector air up next. Front expereinces it more than back.
-Corkscrew: Same as first corkscrew, maybe a little more faster
-Helix was fairly forecul but definitly more forceful and smoother than Medusa's

Ride was just so butter smooth, and the ride crew was great.

9/10, Zero G Roll could have been more intense
RIP Chiller 1997-2007

#5 KK-N-Mrc00l

KK-N-Mrc00l

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

Hydra was an okay ride. The jojo roll was pretty fun, as were some elements, but I found most of the ride a little boring. 7/10
2007 Rides:
El Toro: 4 Kingda Ka: 3 Nitro: 2 Medusa: 1 Superman: Ultimate Flight: 2 Batman the Ride: 2 Batman the Chiller: 0 Robin the Chiller: 5 Great American Scream Machine: 2 Rolling Thunder - Right: 0 Rolling Thunder - Left: 0 Skull Mountain: 1 Runaway Mine Train: 0 Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train: 1 Road Runner Railway: 0 Stuntman's Freefall: 0 R.I.P

#6 EtrnlDarkness

EtrnlDarkness

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

Appearance: 9/10
I really liked the rides colors, green track and those pink shoulder restraints were just cool B). I liked the theming too, hydra is one of my favorite mythological monsters, but they could have themed it a bit better.
All in all Appearance is a 9/10 not quite perfect.

Comfort: 10/10
It's a B & M. That alone is enough said, but i'll elaborate a bit more on it. The seats were very comfy, and the ride was very smooth so, like most B & M's, this gets 10/10 for comfort.

Originality & Variety of Elements: 9/10
The jojo roll in the beginning is VERY original considering it hasn't been done before and the ride itself had a very unique layout on a nice terrain. The Inclined Dive loop was different and the 'air' hill on it was a nice touch. But unfortunately B & M added their overused Cobra Roll (Which IMO isn't all thatt great) which is what kept this from being a perfect 10/10.

Intensity & Ecitement: 6/10:
This really has a great beginning with that great hangtime the jojo roll gives, and then the first drop was superb, but the inclined dive loop left much to be disired, but then it has my personal favorite inversion the Zero G Roll, but after that there's nothing much on this ride. Although i liked that air hill it was a nice touch to the ride. But generally the ending was a bit boring and went rather slow.

Re-Ride Factor: 7/10:
B & M's are always a nice ride but this isn't something i would ride too many times in a row, considering there's Talon not too far from it, and that is a superior ride ;)

Overall 8/10
Posted Image
2 wrongs may not make a right but 3 rights do make a left.
I am not afraid to admit it, I AM A TITANS FAN!

#7 Kingdakaroxmysox

Kingdakaroxmysox

iwrestledabearonce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

This is my favorite ride at Dorney, it gives you 7 inversions in a real compact space thats amazing
Posted Image

#8 KingdaKaRuler05

KingdaKaRuler05

You're Gonna Go Far, Kid.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

Overall, Hydra is just an "all right" kind of ride to me. There were some good things about it, and some bad ones.

As everyone always says, the JoJo roll is unique and gives a great sensation. The hangtime in this element is unbelieveable, and provides such a different kind of experience. Then, going on to the drop. I really enjoyed the drop on Hydra, and it left me with some decent airtime on the way out. Very nice drop with a pretty good view from the park. Another element I like on this ride is the always one of my favorite elements, the Zero-G. While not as big and dominant as other coasters, the Zero-G still provides a great sensation and is always enjoyable and unique.

Now, as for the rest of the ride. Nothing else on Hydra was stunning besides what I have mentioned above. Inclined Dive Loop..eh, felt like one big forceless helix to me. Cobra roll...same as any other. Corkscrew (s)...again, same as any other. Helix...one of the least forceful helixes I have ever experienced. Also, all the S-turn and the bunny hop do for me sometimes a simple pop of air-time.

Overall, like I have already said, Hydra has some good elements, and some bad. It isn't a bad ride, just not a thrilling one. I enjoyed it, but it just isn't anything special. Rating for the ride: 7/10.

-KKR05

#9 vinnyv07

vinnyv07

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:00 PM

The jo-jo roll is really what makes the ride stand out. After the beginning the ride is kind of boring.....and it even hurts a bit. For a new coaster I was really disappointed in it. Everytime I was at Dorney last year me and my family got on under a half hour each time. Sometimes it was just walk on....

#10 rollercoaster91

rollercoaster91

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:53 PM

The jojo roll is awesome, drop is the best drop I have ever been on. The inversions/layout are awesome, it's just not as intense as other rides. 8.5/10
Posted Image
1) El Toro 2) Nitro 3) Medusa 4) Talon 5) Kingda Ka 6) Kraken

#11 lil jimmy norton

lil jimmy norton

GADV Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:45 AM

Rode it three times. The best time was the front row. The jojo roll was interesting, and better in the front. It wasn't as bad as everyone says. The first drop is good, I like the fact that it is straight down instead of curved. You get some air, even with the otsr's. Not the best coaster at Dorney, but not horrible either.
My dog is destroying my life.

#12 rollercoaster91

rollercoaster91

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

hydra is an awesome ride..i know that most pppl say it doesnt live up to medusa, which it doesnt, but it still is a good ride that packs a punch despite its small layout. jojo roll is hysterical when your riding with friends who have never been on it before,the drop has the greatest airtime/ejector airtime of any ride ive been on (excluding drop towers, ect.) when in the back 2 rows, the layout is unique, the transitions are smmoth (typical B&M), and the excitement/fun factor is very high

the only thing i have against hydra is its intensity

out of 32 (as of 6/13/06), its my number 9
Posted Image
1) El Toro 2) Nitro 3) Medusa 4) Talon 5) Kingda Ka 6) Kraken

#13 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hydra is unique in that it has the Jo-jo roll and not a traditional loop on the ride but it doesn't detract from the fact I could not find a consistent ride the day I went to ride it in its first year. The cobra roll is the most ugly one I've found on a B&M. The twisting turn after the cobra roll chops the train's speed like a ninja sword. Disappointing - it's a family floorless coaster. Medusa is much better.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#14 its_me

its_me

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:31 PM

I was dissapointed in Hydra. It's certainly one of the better looking coasters i've seen. But riding it was a different story. I didn't feel any energy or intensity on it. The jojo roll was certainly a unique experience, but other than that it was only a so-so ride.

I gave it a 7/10.

#15 snowsurfer

snowsurfer

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:35 PM

I really liked Hydra when i rode it in the back row earlier this year. It doesnt even compare to medusa but it does have its good parts. one of them was the straight drop which provided great air and although i thought it was a little rough it was nothing that would make the ride bad. 7.5/10
KK rides- all time 66
09 season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users