19 replies to this topic

#16 twg519

twg519

Knight to E5.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:07 PM

I'm pretty sure they mean cinema...I could be wrong though?

Oh and BTW, what's wrong with CT? I live here and I love it!
Posted Image
My deepest apologies to Fungo Squiggly.

#17 drummgm

drummgm

Skiers Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

This park's name is Utopia and coincidentally in Connecticut! hahaha Connecticut.

Hey now, lets not be hating on CT.... B)

I have never heard of Utopia studios. Also, no, it is not that close to Mystic. Mystic, while although semi in Eastern CT, is on the coaster, probably about a good 45min-1 hour drive from this new theme park area.
Posted Image

#18 GAcoaster

GAcoaster

Photographer/Historian

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:12 AM

From WTNH.com:

Town Leaders terminate Utopia Studios deal
Story by Jamie Muro

(Preston-WTNH, Nov. 22, 2006 10:35 PM) It's lights out for a massive entertainment project in the town of Preston.

The plan to build a film studio and theme park has been rejected because of a missed deadline.

The town says Utopia missed a deadline and that was cause for termination but the developer says the town officials did not provide the company with important information, like the cost of environmental cleanup.

The project may not be entirely dead yet.

Wednesday night, town officials terminated an agreement with Utopia Studios of New York after Joseph Gentile, the developer, failed to deposit money into an escrow account as agreed to by himself and the town.

"I invested three and a half years of my life on this project," says First Selectman Robert Congdon.

Congdon supported the project, but in the end, voted for termination because of the missed deadline.

"We gave notice of termination based on not meeting contractual obligations."

Those obligations are $56 million in escrow to pay for taxes, fees, and cleaning up the former Norwich Hospital property. Opponents of the plan are relieved.

"I'm excited, I think it's a good step for the town, I think it's a strong legal step, I feel like it's just the beginning of the process now," says Keleigh Baretincic.

She may be right. In a statement, Gentile said "like the football games we will watch over the holiday - sometimes all you need is a good referee to sort out differences. We believe mediation is still a viable option and know we can find the right referee to move this project forward to the benefit of the state of Connecticut."

Some resident supporters of the project, all smiles before the decision, soured after the vote and promptly refused to go on camera. Congdon stresses he voted to what he thought was best for the town.

"It was not an easy decision for me, we will have a lot of time and effort involved in this project, this was not an easy decision for any of us," says Congdon.

Obviously, the property is a hot commodity. A group called Thames River Landing Development hopes to push forward with an idea of a hotel, marina and an equestrian and convention center.

Looks like yet another pipe dream project, dead.
Posted Image

#19 drummgm

drummgm

Skiers Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

^Eh, it would have been cool, but probably not that successful. I mean, CT is not really the right place to have it. There is not enough to do and it would never be the #1 tourist attraction in the state(Foxwoods holds that spot).

But who knows, maybe they will relocate it to somewhere else in the country.
Posted Image

#20 james01

james01

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

Great Adventure Tours Inc. is a wholesale receptive operator offering discounted hotels, transportation, attractions and more to tour operators, senior groups, performance groups and student groups throughout North America.
Thanks
James
Connecticut Alcohol Addiction Treatment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users